CONLANG  August 2001, Week 1

CONLANG August 2001, Week 1

Re: Illegal vowel combinations

"Thomas R. Wier" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Aug 2001 23:31:00 -0500

Muke Tever wrote:

> From: "Yoon Ha Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
> > > Wait a minute. Now I'm confused. Have you changed
> > > the pronunciation of Czevraqis? I thought {u} was
> > > [M] (which I liked *so* much) and {q} was [?].
> >
> > <rueful look>  If [M] is the "upside down m" (rendered in
> > Kirschenbaum as [u-]?) I liked it too, but there was something in my
> > abortive attempt at taking a phonology/phonetics intro class that
> > suggested the [M] was asymmetric and it *should* be [u].  Then again,
> > I stole it off Japanese...I did want to keep it.  <sigh>  Do you
> > think the linguistics/phonology police might catch me if I changed it
> > back...?
>
> Certainly not a problem.  Not every language in the world must have Spanish
> vowels.  Different arrangements give a lang personality. ;p

That, and no language obeys *all* linguistic "universals", although they vary
in the extent to which they do adhere to them.

Thomas Wier | AIM: trwier

"Aspidi men Saiôn tis agalletai, hên para thamnôi
  entos amômêton kallipon ouk ethelôn;
autos d' exephugon thanatou telos: aspis ekeinê
  erretô; exautês ktêsomai ou kakiô" - Arkhilokhos