SCUBA-L August 2001, Week 1

Re: Tech 50D

Gozum at IS-TJUH <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Aug 2001 11:52:55 -0400

Hello Mark!

You are very welcome and thanks for the compliments, I did get a lot from
Simon and others including historical insight into the older Apeks line and
reasons for using the various turret and non-turret configurations. I love
the Apeks regulator, and its one of 2 regulators I use [ my backup needs
exercise too!]

Anyway, to your other questions, see below:

At 12:00 AM 08/01/2001 -0400, Automatic digest processor wrote:
>Date:    Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:26:32 EDT
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Tech 50D

>Hello Marvin,
>As usual, you know your beans.  I misspoke because I have an older       Tech
>50D.  You are correct that my new reg. is the "TX 50" with "TX 40 Octo"
>Initially, Diveinn sent me the wrong first stage (DS4, no swivel which only
>had 3/8" ports)  When they sent me the correct first stage (with swivel) it
>had the open 1/2" port which was the source of my consternation.

Thank you again for the complement.  I see its the same one I ordered 4
months ago and I love it.  But your trouble is a bit concerning as I
received an Apeks TX50 + TX40 octo in a sealed Apeks box, complete with
warranty, users manual and a very useful engineering-blowup diagram.  Did
you experience the same?  Diveinn configures regulators to order, so that
may be part of the confusion ... if you order manufacturer configured regs
from the website, there are less problems and you get a factory sealed box
from the manufacturer.

So you should have a DST 1st Stage, a TX50 2nd Stage [ connected to the
1/2" UNF port] and a TX40 Octo, which is basically a TX40 2nd Stage with a
yellow face plate and a yellow hose, that fits any 3/8" UNF port.

>   Diveinn has
>just emailed me an apology and said that they will send me a 1/2" hose for
>the swivel first stage.

Sounds great, I am still puzzled why it was forgotten in the first place,
as it should ship as a complete unit in a box.

>   Do I understand that you recommend that I use the
>1/2" port for my octo rather than my primary...if so, why when you say that
>the 1/2" port delivers air better than the 3/8"?
>Thanks and regards Marvin,
>Mark

Normally, the main second stage regulator TX50 should be connected to the
1/2" UNF port, and when shipped the TX50 and hoses are already screwed into
this port.  If you already have this hose, it won't hurt to use this 1/2"
UNF port.

Your TX40 octo should be screwed into any free 3/8" UNF port.

The issue raised by Simon, in Vance Harlow's Regulator book, and many tech
divers, is that there is no notable difference in air delivery between 1/2
and 3/8 diameter hose connectors in real dives, although THEORETICALLY, any
larger diameter hose should provide greater Standard Cubic Feet per Minute,
SCFM, of air but note, the 2nd Stage still has the same diameter connector
to the hose, so the bigger column of air will be limited by this smaller
orifice.

In some regulator designs, the main 2nd Stage port is also designed to
insure a more direct flow of air from its Intermediate Pressure chamber [
which Apeks sometimes calls the Medium Pressure chamber] compared to its
other IP ports.  This is not discussed in the Apeks site for the DST 1st
Stage nor the manual, so although it appears that way in the engineering
diagram, I'm hard pressed to say if it really is.

Anyway, the real world issue today is finding a suitable 1/2" hose in the
future as a spare part when you replace the hose of your 2nd Stage, during
normal wear.  Since your wonderful reg is brand new, you shouldn't have
this issue in the near future.  However, I see 3 quick solutions.

Diveinn.com is one of the few websites that sell and list 1/2" hoses AND
the Apeks 1st Stage rebuild kits ... if you or your tech have trouble
getting parts why not buy the hose from them?

http://www.scubastore.com/producte.asp?id=36&id_modelo=304&marca=APEKS&tipo=REGULATORS&subtipo=,
accesories&desde=1

Many divers just ignore the 1/2" hose and buy, a 1/2" UNF -> 3/8" UNF
adapter and use 3/8" hoses.  From the US, leisurepro.com has one for
example for $7

http://leisurepro.com/detail.tpl?cart=996660739392952&command=search&db=leisurepro.db&eqskudata=AQUHAB

I've not tried to use it, since my reg is new too, and I think as our regs
age, the 1/2" hose will increasingly be available.

If you can't find the adapter, it would be a good idea to obtain the 1/2"
UNF plug for the DST, as Poe suggests.  That way you can close that port,
and just use the other 3/8" ports in an emergency.  But again, the 1/2" is
assumed to always be used, so I've not seen an Apeks DST sold with the plug,

MARK: if you DO OBTAIN THE PLUG somewhere, please let me know, I'd like to
have it as backup too!!!!

Apeks breaths easier than my Cousteau, a nice compact shape and REALLY
useful adjustments on the 2nd Stage!  I selected a yoke configuration and
realized I was thinking DIN and in lieu of performing an exchange,
diveinn.com sent me the DIN conversion kit for free, which I had to
install, and I bought, in addition a $26 DIN-yoke converter.  Diveinn.com
has been very helpful in fixing issues I had, but it took nearly 1 month to
fix them all.

Warm regards,

Marv