CONLANG  August 2001, Week 4

CONLANG August 2001, Week 4

Re: relay 1: Czevraqis vocbulary details, 1/3

Jesse Bangs <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:32:59 -0600

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:53:34 -0700 Yoon Ha Lee <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> (I realize mine hasn't been posted yet, but Jesse asked.  :-p)
>
> (Outdated, probably archaic) paradigm:
>
> verb: C_CaCu
> adj:  C_CiCu
> noun: CeC_Ca
>
>    verb/adj   infix       noun
> ======================================
> generic       -e-   state
> causative     -ae-  doer (professional)
> instrumental  -a-   tool
> habitual      -ai-  doer (casual)
> intensive     -o-   emphatic
> attenuative   -i-   diminutive

Very, very interesting.  Knowing some of this stuff might have changed my
translation!  I especially like this root:

> derahu: to balance/cast a shadow
> adj: balanced
> state: balance, void
> doer (prof): philosopher, monk (more Buddhist than medieval style)
> doer (cas): shadow-caster
> tool: shadow
> emphatic: the state toward which creation strives
> diminutive: inner choice, acceptance (though not necessarily
> without
> bitterness)

Wow!  The state form is the one that occurred in the relay, if I remember
correctly, and I translated it with the word /kaved/ in Yivríndil,
literally "nothing-place."  If I had known this I might have used
"shadow-place" or even "natural-place."  Also the interpretation of "the
state toward which creation strives" depends heavily on culture: is it
entropy, perfection, balance, destruction, or what?  Fascinating.

Jesse S. Bangs     Pelíran
jaspax @juno.com
"There is enough light for those that desire only to see, and enough
darkness for those of a contrary disposition."  --Blaise Pascal