aspects of process

claudio <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 26 Aug 2001 04:49:45 +0200

@roger mills
very well.
id like to consider a new term:
the timespan in advance of a process from the enabling until the initiation.
enabling is the "startpoint" of this timespan.
its completion occurs when the process is initiated.
you could call it "planning stage" but since planning has a volitional
aspect and it should be more neutral because we dont speak of
lifeform-processes only, i call it pre-state.
if its a dynamic pre-state you can call it preparation, if its a static state
you can call it "enabled-state". i simply think that these terms have the
right to get an entirely individual words, which dont causes any ambiguities.
additionally a completed preparation is "readyness" and occurs before the initiation,
alas, this makes logical definitions abit more confusing.

the problem we have in everyday-speech because because of the lack of missing efficiency
 we can see in e.g. this wrong sentence: "i cancelled my travel to spain and will
not travel again."
its wrong because he never travelled yet so its unlogical to say "and will not travel again"
right would be something like "and i dont plan to travel again", but thats long and inefficient when the other
person can guess what you mean. this "guessing" is a makeshift for common chats but its not acceptable
in cases where speech must be accurate because its not guessable.

|----this is the pre-state----------------------|---------this is the process----------|
enabling -> "enabled-ongoing" (-> "readyness") -> initiation -> progress -> completion

the PRE-STATE occurs before the PROCESS, it can be:
a) a dynamic state, then its called PREPARATION.
b) a static state, then its called PENDING.

im using the terms "stop" "start" "ongoing" and "continue" and "done" as neutral and auxiliary terms here.
now lets take a look which words we have and which ones are missing in vocabulary:

"the aspect of INITIATION" means that a process has been started.
"the aspect of PROGRESSION" means that a process is ongoing.
"the aspect of COMPLETION" means that a process is done.

the former aspects applied to a pre-state:
"the aspect of ENABLING" means that a pre-state has been started.
"the aspect of ENABLED-ONGOING" means that a pre-state is ongoing. (either PREPARATION or PENDING)
"the aspect of READYNESS" means that a dynamic pre-state (=preparation) is done.
when it is a static pre-state (=pending) then READYNESS occurs simultaneously with INITIATION, both coincide.

"the aspect of INTERRUPTION" means a the process is stopped and may be continued (it is freezed in its current state).
"the aspect of ABORTION" means that a process is stopped and may not be continued, but may be restarted.
"the aspect of TERMINATION" means that a process is stopped and may not be continued and may not be restarted.
"the aspect of RESUMPTION" means that a process is continued.
"the aspect of RE-INITIATION" means that a process is restarted.

the former aspect applied to a pre-state:
"the aspect of DEFERRAL" means a the pre-state is stopped and may be continued (it is freezed in its current state).
"the aspect of CANCELLATION" means that a pre-state is stopped and may not be continued, but may be restarted.
"the aspect of PRE-TERMINATION" means that a pre-state is stopped and may not be continued and may not be restarted.
"the aspect of PRE-STATE-CONTINUATION" means that a pre-state is continued.
"the aspect of RE-ENABLING" means that a pre-state is restarted.

as you can see , when we create some term like "pre-state" we have actually just 8 (and not 16) aspects,
which can be compounded with the semantic roots "pre-state" and "process" by a good derivation system.
additionally there could be a distinction between PENDING and PREPARATION and its sub aspects.

im not very lucky with this approach,
but i hope that you understand my aim.

i couldnt use the term "abandonment" yet, i substituted it by "termination" since abandonment sounded abit to
volitional for me, and we (at least first) should define these aspects in a neutral, volitional independent, way.

regrds,
c.s.

RM> Claudio wrote:
>>---->> tramepu left undone, incomplete; not done (either by omission, or
RM> because
>>---->> the work was abandoned, contrast ta rumbende incomplete but due to
RM> be
>>---->> finished);
>>---->> trambepu unemployed
>>

>>well that reminds me to some process-aspects.
>>but i dont quite understand: does tramepu refer to a
RM> not-yet-started-working-process  or to an interrupted working-process ?

RM> The latter, with strong implication that work will not be resumed.  There
RM> can be a question of intention, too:  e.g. one section of a planned 12
RM> section poem or novel, written 20 years ago, is probably tramepu 'left
RM> undone (abandoned)' (and definitely so after the author's death); 11
RM> chapters out of 12 is probably ta rumbende 'not (yet) finished'.  Or (as I
RM> understand it) work on a Pharaoh's tomb was stopped when the Pharaoh died--
RM> that's tramepu

RM> Also tramepu:  something one ought to have done, but didn't (and won't), as
RM> opposed to something one is supposed to do, but hasn't yet (tamende mepu,
RM> 'not yet done'

>>a process which is stopped and aimed to be continued is : interrupted ->
RM> aspect of interruption
RM> This would be ta rumbende:  a highway or building that is stopped because
RM> money or materials temporarily ran out.  Or, a project that is still ongoing
RM> but simply has not yet been finished.

>>a process which is stopped and not aimed to be continued is : aborted ->
RM> aspect of abortion
RM> tramepu, perhaps because it was impractical, impossible or found to be
RM> unnecessary (and will not be resumed); or else simply "stopped" by
RM> deliberate decision (but may be resumed by later decision-- e.g the
RM> countdown to a rocket launch)

>>a process which is stopped before it has been started and to be continued
is: deferred ->> aspect of deferral