AUXLANG August 2001, Week 5

Re: Posting about the book to auxlang

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:52:41 -0700

Je 12:20 ptm 8/31/01 +0000, James CHANDLER skribis
>Don rote:
>
>>Could you define what you mean by "informational"? If "informational about
>>fine points of distinction between various planned languages", then you are
>>probably right. If "informational about other topics, about history, about
>>social differences between planned languages, about usability of planned
>>languages" then I think you are perhaps suffering from a bit of tunnel
>>vision.
>
>By 'informational' i mean anything that brings us information about Esp, its
>movement, activities, new publications, etc. etc.  All of this would seem to
>me entirely relevant to this list.  So, if you posted a message informing us
>of a new book in Esp, providing a URL to a webpage on it, and perhaps
>quoting a short excerpt or two to give a flavor of the work, that would be
>fine.  On the other hand, what you are doing, ie. posting entire articles in
>Esp, sometimes two or three at a time, is blatantly promotional and of
>dubious appropriateness here.

Just for the record, let's see what I've posted here over the last three
months. I looked at the titles of all my postings, ignored any that started
with Re: (which were obviously just answers to other people's postings) and
came up with the following seventeen items (seventeen? Damn, I've been lax!
Well, time to come back to life ...)

June 11: Part of a discussion in re the distinction between "moribunde" and
"moriente in Interlingua
June 25: A comment on the amount of stuff about Esperanto in europa.linguas
June 27: Pointed out that a committee has been formed to beatify Dr. Johann
Martin Schleyer of Volapuk fame
June 29: Info re and pointer to page about international interlinguistics
symposium being held in Zagreb the next month

July 2: Mentioned that this year's Summer Esperanto Workshop participants
were living in Gilson Hall
July 9: Description of band called "Volapuk" + Description of events in
Esperanto-land happening this summer in my native San Francisco
July 12: Pointed to Google IAL interfaces (of which Esperanto was the only
one working properly)
July 12: Historical note about IALA circa 1933 copied from book of that date

August 14: Universala Esperanto-Asocio press release
August 20: Pointers to two new Esperanto literary sites: Moominland (all
seven novels now on-line) and Szathmare (16 short stories and novelettes)
August 23: Pointer to new site containing article defending Esperanto and
critical of Ido by W. E. Collinson (later of IALA)
August 26: Two articles in Esperanto about late-breaking astronomical subjects
August 28: Pointer to new on-line book about interlinguistic topics (in
Esperanto and German)
August 28: Another astronomical article
August 29: Pointer to new on-line Esperanto book service
August 30: Posting re new book about Esperanto in 21st century by Lee.

Three months, seventeen items. I'm sorry that you find this so
overwhelming, James.

>>"Blatant" is perhaps a bit excessive. I like to think that they are nice,
>>subtle adverts for Esperanto. ;<)
>
>Then the sutlety is lost on me...

Yes, I have had that impression ...

>>This, I think, is a revisionist view of history. Bruce and I were pretty
>>much in agreement that I would pay about as much attention to his
>>prejudices as he did to mine. Actually, if you go back and look I think
>>you'll find that, every now and then, I didn't hesitate to post an article
>>or two. (And, frankly, I'd like to see Bruce come back. I miss the guy.)
>
>Looking back, i remember feeling at the time that Bruce provided some kind
>of restraint on your activities on this list, keeping you in check, so to
>speak, to some extent.  Since his unfortunate departure you have been free
>of any kind of authority, and have been able to follow what was presumably
>your original plan.  The results are plain to see.  And, in Bruces absence,
>i should point out that he would certainly not accept your characterization
>of his views as prejudices (tho as for yours, i think that is open to
>debate...).

I must confess to a certain degree of prejudice with respect to Bruce.

A long time before you got involved, I was on CompuServe; the internet was
a distant dream. Then I found out how to exchange mail between CompuServe
and the net, and I subscribed to two lists, the main (then only) Esperanto
list and Conlang. (This was a mistake, as I found out later, when I
discovered -- through a dunning phone call -- that CompuServe, though it
didn't advertise the fact, charged ten cents for every piece of mail
exchanged between it and the net; but that, of course, had little to do
with Bruce.)

My first week in Conlang, I saw a posting by this guy named Bruce Gilson
expressing his interest in planned languages of a certain sort. His
description, in my eyes, was a description of Esperanto. Not knowing Bruce
Gilson from Adam (I had not seen the group's FAQ, and in any case I doubt
whether it included a line saying "never mention Esperanto to Bruce
Gilson"), I diffidently suggested that he might want to take a look at
Esperanto.

Despite being born only three months apart, Bruce and I apparently have
quite different temperaments. Had you, James, in full newbie ignorance come
to me and suggested that I might want to learn Ido, I would have said,
"Sorry, I am a convinced Esperantist, and my only interest in Ido is as a
part of the history of Esperanto and the planned-language movement." Bruce,
however, flamed me.

 From that time on, I paid little or no attention to Bruce's likes or
dislikes -- in Conlang, in a.l.a, or here -- before posting something. I
did, I confess, take a certain perverse pleasure in knocking down his
reiterated (in Esperanto we say "regurdataj" -- the root is the same as in
"hurdy-gurdy", where you crank the wheel and the same short tune comes out
over and over) insistences on "faults" that were obviously incorrect (my
favorite was his never-ending assurance that the "Fundamento" had somehow
frozen Esperanto into its 1905 format, when anybody who even _looks_ at the
language other than cross-eyed can see that it _has_ evolved since 1905,
and so _nothing_, including the "Fundamento", could have frozen it).

I think Bruce may have mellowed a bit, as did I -- I remember one time when
we found ourselves in complete agreement on some topic or other. If I
remember correctly, though, it was about something foolish that _you_ had
said, so perhaps better to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Those who wish to check out James's insistence that Bruce Gilson somehow
served a check on my postings may wish to look for themselves. The archive
(thanks to Chris Burd for reminding me of this address a couple of months
ago, when I was moaning and groaning about yahoogroups) is at
http://listserv.brown.edu/archives/auxlang.html. I joined this list in, I
believe, late August of 1997; Bruce was a member for a year or so after that.

>>Oh, come now. You've gone considerably further than that in the past.
>>"Beginning to feel"??? Why, compared to some of the other stuff you've
>>posted about me, this hardly qualifies as a mini-rant! James, before long
>>you'll start waxing philosophical about the whole thing and teen-agers will
>>start referring to you as "the old man".
>
>Well, i am long out of my teenage years now, mores the pity, so perhaps i am
>mellowing with age...  But i completely reject your insinuation that my
>much-needed criticisms of you on this list have been rants.

Reject anything you wish. A spade remains a spade, even if you wish to
refer to it as a marshmallow. As, I think, I've had to point out to you before.

>>As I understand it, this list was founded to provide a place to relegate
>>those who were treating Conlang as an IAL battleground. That it often
>>degenerates (if you want to use the term) into an IAL battleground is,
>>under the circumstances, hardly surprising. Please quote a document that
>>describes whether the system is supposed to be "Marquis of Queensbury",
>>"Geneva Convention", or "Take No Prisoners".
>
>I have reread the rules of the list.  To me, they seem to make a distinction
>between informing other members about your favorite language, and engaging
>in any form of spamming, ie. sending unsolicited advertisements to the list.
>  However, the wording is unclear on this point, and only commercial
>spamming is explicitly outlawed.  However, i do think there is a suggestion
>in there that promotional activities of any sort should be kept modest and
>to the point.
>
>Because i am British, i have an inherent sense of fair play, and i suppose i
>tend to assume that others will share it.  This assumption is almost
>certainly unjustified.

Jesus Haploid Christ! I think that last paragraph speaks for itself, James.
Would you care to rephrase it?

(I lived in Great Britain for five years. I like the people, I like the
country. I was made welcome -- though my non-Esperanto-speaking colleagues
in the U.S. military often reported a somewhat different experience. I
never noticed that the British had, as a people, any less of a love of fair
play, or any greater one, than Americans or any other people I've
encountered. For that matter, it is not the French or the Germans or the
Belgians who engage in wild riots when their team loses fairly at soccer,
is it? You've made such ethnocentric and non-comprehending statements
before, and screamed when I called you on it. Have you learned nothing?)

As to spamming, perhaps Yves Bellefeuille -- who is something of an expert
on the subject -- would care to comment, if he still subscribes to this list.

>>Now this is at least consistent. A couple of years ago you made essentially
>>the same recommendation to Bob Petry about the stuff he was then posting in
>>Occidental. I _supported_ you then, which would make me horribly
>>inconsistent, except I also pointed out that (a) Bob had a _right_ to post
>>the stuff here if he wanted to (which you did not seem to realize), and (b)
>>it was the only way he would make sure that people actually _saw_ it.
>
>I never disputed Bobs _right_ to post anything to this list.  I merely
>recommended that he modify his methods (tho you have a better recollection
>of it than me).  Your (b) betrays your true intentions: you cant leave it to
>people to choose whether or not they want to read your texts, so you ram
>them down their throats regardless.  Otherwise you would post URLs.

I ram nothing down anyone's throat. Anyone who sees something I have posted
(as with your stuff) is free to ignore it. And, as you will note from the
above list I made, I quite often _do_ post URLs. (In such cases, because
they're the only thing I _have_ to post ...)

>>My material, and the stuff that Bob used to post, were both topical, the
>>difference being that mine is topical now, and his was topical six decades
>>ago or thereabouts.
>
>Don, this is exactly the kind of comment we need BRG here to deal with.  You
>have twisted and contorted the facts to suit your own ends.  The facts,
>untwisted, are:
>1. Bob posts sixty year old articles as part of valid discussions about the
>history of Occ and Ia.
>2. You post current articles in order to promote Esp on this list, when such
>activities would be better suited to an Esp-language list or newsgroup, and
>NOT AS PART OF ANY DISCUSSION ON THIS LIST.
>
>Kindly refrain from deliberately misleading the members of this list.

I think your (1) and (2) above make my point for me.

-- Don HARLOW

Branĉetoj nudaj
Antaŭ ĉiel' lazura
Lunon aĵuras.