SCUBA-L October 2001, Week 3

Re: Maldives and photography

Poe Lim <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 12:52:08 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Huntzinger, Hugh A [AMSTA-AR-CCL-B]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Maldives and photography

> > Two questions which I hope you guys can help me with:
> >
> > 1.  What (if any) opinions do you guys have on buying a
> > digital camera and a housing?  I am on the road to
> > purchasing a digital camera in any case, and Iím just
> > wondering should I buy the housing now as well.
>

> The past history of UW housings for video cameras has been that the
> electronics kept changing so rapidly that it became hard for the housing
> companies to keep up with the rapid roll-over in video camera models, so
> cameras didn't stick around long enough for housings to be developed or
> worth supporting.  Digital cameras are continuing this trend.

I suppose the other pertinent question is the budget and intended use. I
looked into this before my digital camera purchase, and both as I only
intend to take snappy type UW photos, decided that both Canon and Olympus
had both simple cameras and also UW housing to 30m. Of the two, I ended up
with the Canon PowerShot A20 due to simplicity and its use of Compact Flash
cards (as I might end up with a higher end equipment for detailed
photography for work, so am still looking at digital SLRs, and Nikon, in
which I have an investment in lenses and flash units, uses CF). Could have
gone with the CoolPix as well, but they had too many controls for what I
need.

> FWIW, I consider the current state of the art in digital to be the Canon
> EOS-1D SLR, which has a 4 Megapixel, 36 bit (12 * 3 channels) CCD.  Its
> expected street price is ~$6500.  It also comes with the trade-off that it

How about the Nikon D1x (5 Mp) or do you have an investment in Canon lenses?
But I agree with you WRT resolution; even 5Mp get a relatively small image
before it pixellates (which looks terrible in presentations when projected).

Cheers,
Poe Lim