SCUBA-L October 2001, Week 3

Maldives and photography

"Gozum M @ Home" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 18:26:49 -0400

Hi Gil:

Rather than discuss results, see for yourself.  An old Coolpix 950, 2.1
megapixel in an Ikelite housing, rated > 130'

With flash:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AIGallery?u=951334&a=7125377

Without flash:

http://www.deeperstuff.com/shoot-roatan.htm

The sysop uses an Olympus 3030? 3? megapixel in a Light and Motion housing
{$1000} for technical diving digital photography { expensive but rated for
_very_ deep use}.  I've dove with him once, and the case fits the camera
like a glove, minimizing its size.  Images without flash have a bluish
tinge, but the depth of field and appearance is close to what we saw down
there.

Substantially better than any point and shooter are these digitals, and
list prices.  You can get them discounted _over_ 25% of list from reputable
Internet dealers, see shopper.com, or buy at your local retail store.  The
u/w housing maybe hard to find, so its best found via the net.

Digital Elph S300 ~$700 propreitary battery, 30 sec mpg capability, ~size
of cigarette pack, compact Flash [ acrylic clear u/w case $200 rated to 100']

Canon Powershot A20 $600 [2.1 megapixel] either use regular AA NiMH,
Compact flash
Canon Powershot A10  $400 [1.3 megapixel]
[ either camera, acrylic clear u/w case $200 rated to 100']

http://www02.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___224139___CAPSA20___REG___CatID=99999___SID=E9E120E6BD0

Sony Cybershots ... several models some with housing ... but I dislike
their proprietary memory stick caemras are cost effective and SONY has a
wide product range.  See above link to search for them.

Good luck!  Let us know how you do.

Downside: a flooded digital camera may not be cost effective to
repair.  Few digitals have external flash attachments in their current
manufacturer's housing.

Upside: viewfinders overcome parallax error, lower operating cost,  better
images in its basic configuration, small form factor, and instant feedback
on your images, taking pictures adlib? Priceless.
Unlike 35mm, I typically will shoot 100-300 shots at a time then edit down
... there is no penalty or cost after the capital expense!

My choice? I'm confused and waiting for prices to drop.  The future sees so
much improvement in resolution, cost and size reduction that a purchase
decision is based entirely on what you need in the next 12 months [new
camera model release cycle].  Large equipment gets very banged about in a
diveboat, the case's limited depth rating, limited accessories and keeping
baggage light when traveling weigh on me.

I'd get the S300 in a heartbeat as its near perfect for my need but those
proprietary batteries become a liability when they wear out [and it wears
depending on charge-discharge usage], and are $50/each not to mention
packing its special non-rapid charger.  OTAH, a 4 pack NiMH AA is $10, 1-hr
rapid charger $25, AA I use as backup batteries to my travel flashlight,
shaver, and walkman, and the A10 is down to $230, the housing to $150.

I find taking 30 sec mpgs superb, tiny at 320x200 the motion however is
more descriptive of an uw adventure than the stills ... but they are very
difficiult to keep in an divelog as they are megabytes in size.  An
encounter with a shark or a jewfish, or the grace of a ray or eel isn't
done justice in a still.

As far as maximize the esthetic and learning how to do photography, I bow
out and this opens the floodgates to all types of cameras.  The market is
full of superb images, I think personal photography is more about
documenting where you were as best as possible, than trying to compete with
Skin Diver!  A priest I dove with said it best, good imagry helps relive a
past long long gone, so all cameras are fair game.

At 12:00 AM 10/19/01 -0400, Automatic digest processor wrote:

>Date:    Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:04:47 +0200
>From:    Gil Levit <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Maldives and photography
>
>Hello one and all,
>Two questions which I hope you guys can help me with:
>1.      What (if any) opinions do you guys have on buying a digital camera
>and a housing?  I am on the road to purchasing a digital camera in any case,
>and I'm just wondering should I but the housing now as well.  I have done
>some underwater photography with a MX-10 (Sea&Sea), and it was a blast but
>it was not my camera.  Any comments will be appreciated.
>2.      I am getting conflicting reports as to the weather situation in the
>Maldives during the beginning of December.  Anyone know for sure what is
>going on there during that time period?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>

>Gil Levit

warm regards,