SCUBA-L October 2001, Week 3

Re: Laguna Beach Resort, Utila

Nick Simicich <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 19:15:18 -0400

At 03:11 PM 2001-10-20 -0500, Don Ward wrote:
>I am considering a trip to Laguna Beach Resort on Utila in the Bay Islands
>of Honduras.  I would love any comments good or bad (about the resort or
>island).  I have been to the Bay Islands previously, but not Utila.

I went to Utila a number of years ago.  I forget the name of the place I
stayed at, unfortunately, but I'm reasonably sure it was not the Laguna
Beach Resort.  Overall, I really liked it and I'd go back if I could.

Some points:

They used to turn the electricity off at night.  At the time, our hotel was
the only one on the island that had 24 hour generation and a backup.  The
electricity was planned to go off at midnight, but if they generator failed
at say, 9:30, the utility guy would maybe not bother to go and start it
again, and maybe he would, it depended on his mood.  Sometimes he was late
in the morning.

This was the place where, when flying back to the mainland, I was put in
the co-pilot seat.  While flying back, I noted that the cylinder head
temperatures were way up in the red and pointed it out to the pilot.  He
told me that there was nothing to worry about and then adjusted the mixture
when he thought I was not looking. The temps came back into line quickly.

The sites were all "overfished" and there were lots of small fish and few
large ones.  The diving in the harbor was pretty grim during the day, but
fine as a night dive.  Big octopus for the tropics.

We did a daytime drift dive.  The captain lost track of us, and we had to
swim for shore, crawling over fairly sharp lettuce coral.  I was cut up
pretty badly.  There is no doctor on the island, a nurse came by three days
a week?  We had waited 1/2 hour and were worried about being taken away
from the area with houses by current.  As usual at the time, I had a first
aid kit, with plenty of neosporin so I just kept putting neosporin on it
and I was fine although it looked like hell when it happened.  This is not
a place I'd dive in contacts.

The diving was, in general, great if you don't care about large fish much.

Continental was three days late with my luggage, I had to rent a BC and
regulator.  I was carrying aboard my mask, that turned out to be important
since it is a -6 prescription mask.

I had spares for everything - that was important, I had to replace a first
stage seat, there was not one on the island.

One local dive shop (there were only two, I think) advertised a two day
certification.  You could fly in on Friday morning, fly out on Monday with
a PADI OW certification, and you did a fill 24 hours between your last O/W
dive and your flight.  How did they do it?  Simple.  You flew in, and did a
class room session, and then your first two open water dives on
Friday.  Then you did more classroom and your second two O/W dives on
Saturday morning, followed by classroom and confined water work in the
afternoon (confined water work was in a sand bottomed lagoon with a rope
barrier). On Sunday, you did more confined water work and finished your
classroom and you packed and flew out on Monday morning. The resort I was
at refused to take C-Cards issued by the local who used this system unless
it was backed by a log book with at least 20 dives, but they took my C-Card
without a log book.  They had found that people who wanted to do the
certification using the above schedule and then immediately buy dives from
them were not well trained.

I'd go back, people was friendly, beer was good, and I never saw a whale
shark.  The people who stayed on shore had a real problem with sand fleas
in the buildings, our resort had the housing built on piers out over the
water and we had no such problems - things were clean.

One interesting habit at the time was that if you bought a Coke from a
vendor (made with cane sugar and lots of oil of Bergamon, it tasted like
classic coke from the 1960's) and you wanted to walk away with it, they
would pour the coke out of the bottle and into a baggie, deposit on the
bottles was enormous. You would stick a straw through the open mouth of the
baggie and squeeze the bag around the straw and drink the coke that way.

--
War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things. The decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is