SCUBA-L October 2001, Week 4

Re: Digital photo - warning long

"john@home" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:59:29 +0800

Regardless of how well we discuss this issue, there may be a forgone
conclusion:

    You may have already discussed this, but I got this from the Peter
Chestnut - Blue Water Newsletter. Maybe some will be changing formats before
they want to do so.
John

"NEWSLINE

  09-01

Death of an old friend.  The Nikonos V will cease production from September.
Lens and accessories will continue production until at least end 2002. Sales
have slowed a lot over the past few years and Nikon is quietly leaving the
underwater photography market. Will they return with something new - or just
go away? That's the question  we are all asking. But, don't get too upset
with them. Remember that they spent a huge sum of money with the Nikonos
shootout program, advertising in the magazines, the  club and a lot of other
things. Thanks from this writer and we hope to see you return someday. "

______

> Poe:
> I think the problem is as much the digital projector as the image itself; I
> don't think the digital projectors have a very high resolution...
>
> Cheers,
> Poe Lim

If you are projection digital images, those things are getting pretty good.
once again, my standard is based on analog video projection which was so bad
for so long.  BTW - rent the projector. At $5K+ a pop you will not use it
much before there is something much better available.
    It seems you need a pretty sweet slide projector to do good work
projecting also. Those $600 units with a big lens don't do too great in my
theatre. The throw is about 60 feet to a 12 foot screen.

Poe:
> The problem is I also print to 30"x20" for display; digital cameras as we
> know it can't do that yet.

Got me. My biggest u/w print has been about 14"x22". Even that is scary -
Huge, weird sea critters looking down on me from the wall...
I don't know your application for this.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:08:54 -0400
> From:    Clinical Informatics Server <[log in to unmask]>

> I use multiple cards in the remote chance a card will fail or the camera
> flood, and take the images with them.  At least some images survive!

The cards also need to be reformatted to continue to work with anything but
the camera, I've noticed. So, it is in my plan to completed clean the media
after it is used and the mages moved onward.

>> The current crop of digital camcorders
>>> record on DAT-like tape, so caveat emptor!

    More audio analogies: Reviewing the Dat-heads digest you can learn heaps
about the shortcomings of dat tape also. There are big differences in how
they work. When I use audio dats. They get one spin to set the tape, one
spin to record the "event,"
 Then one play to make a master work copy. I had too many dropouts replaying
my master tape. Of course, this was also true when doing analog audio with
cassettes or reels.

> For most of us, this will very quickly causes a reassessment:  "Hmmm...do I
> _really_ need to hold ~300 images between downloads?
    If you want to max out. jpeg 100 shots or so per dive. switch media
between dives. Max - 4 dives on a boat ride. Download in the hotel room
afterwards. Now, that would be 4-128meg sticks at abut $125 each. That's
heaps of material to review when it's time to edit. Whew. That would stop
being fun for me.

> but I'd be very reluctant to
> delete too many of these until I got a very good handle on if the digital
> camera's systems exposure controls...I doubt that their very small display
> is capable of showing me which ones are worthless because they over
> saturated the CCD.
    This is where I disagree. That little display coupled with your
knowledge of what you shot, give you the critical info - content, contrast,
sharpness, composition. If you don't have those four, the image is unlikely
to be usable. I might be tossing an image of that rare sea whatever, but how
would I recognize  it anyway?

>I was also extremely weight-limited on this trip, so
> carrying an extra ~5lbs for a laptop to do backups would probably have been
> a problem.
    OK, get a digital wallet - a few more $$$. I'd like to see a CD burner
as the download device for my camera. In reality, I probably will carry the
laptop next time. You never know, though. In Fiji someone had his laptop and
we all enjoyed the port dive photo sessions he displayed.
    Now a rumor - coming soon is an uw digital camera you do not need to
open. It has onboard memory, you sit it in a cradle, download it, etc.

>> Heck , I can view my shots on the boat... Common post dive
>> conversations go like, "Did you see that purple fish? What
>> was that?..Let me show you.."
>
> Having immediate photographic proof kills any tall tales and dive lies.  I'm
> not so sure I'd call this an "advantage" I really want :-)

    Ha!
------------------

> Date:    Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:55:04 -0700
> From:    Paul Braunbehrens <[log in to unmask]>
 The trick is to check your backups once in a while
> and migrate them to new media before the old one is completely
> obsolete...probably once every 10 years or so.
    Agreed. Paul, you've probably spent some time researching media, also.
Eh?

    OK, honesty time, what is my least favorite thing about my digital set
up? Answer, Lack of very wide lenses. This could be simplified into the
general issue of current lens choices. If and when I ever see a huge whale
shark, I don't expect to get that perfect shot with my digital camera. I
guess I'll just have to enjoy the ride.

    What was my favorite unexpected benefit? The lower drag of the much
smaller camera.

    Another issue I think the digital helps with is how much photo can rule
your diving experience. It (I) can become too obsessive. The digital kit in
it's smallest form - just the housed camera - can still take some nice shots
without getting in the way at all. When the dive is technically difficult
this can be a dive-saver.

John