SCUBA-L October 2001, Week 4

Re: SCUBA newcomer questions

Chuck <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:44:21 -0500

http://officialdivegearpage.com/  This is a good place to start looking at
equipment.  Lots of choices and lots of prices.  Mostly though I fear the
prices will be out of your price range.  Welcome to the wonderful (and
expensive) world of SCUBA diving.

To answer some of your questions:

1) Not a brand I know
2) Cressi is an OK brand but 25 seems like a low price may be fine though
3) The most important thing is that they fit. otherwise you are asking for
cramping.  In warm water, I prefer a full foot fin to wearing boots but that
is personal preference.
4) A tank that is cared for properly will last a long time. I just had one
fail inspection that was over 30 years old. But... for the most part you
will not need a tank since they are a pain in the ass to transport and most
of the places you want to go wil provide them.
5) Dont know the maker again no comment
6) Unless you are going to dive locally a lot, rent one when you get where
you are going it will be cheaper in the long run. Then when you have more
money, buy one you like.
7)  I suspect from the picture of the regulator that if it looks like the
web page you have a yoke fitting (low pressure) on the regulator and a DIN
fitting (high pressure and I understand the European norm).  There may or
may not be a DIN adapter available for your regulator.  If there is, it
should be around $50.
8)) You need a pressure gauge, a depth gauge, a timer of some sort, and a
compass is a nice thing to have.  Total cost can vary and if you add a
computer it can be many thousands of dollars if you want to spend that much.

CH