Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  November 2001, Week 1

AUXLANG November 2001, Week 1

Re: Checking the Sources (all sorts of topics on Ido/Esperanto)

"Donald J. HARLOW" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Nov 2001 17:07:24 -0800

Je 03.49 ptm 2001.11.04 -0500, Thomas ALEXANDER skribis

>        I got the dictionary from an Esperantist
>who was clearing out his stocks of books so that
>he wouldn't have to leave them to his wife for
>her to deal with.  I have no idea how valuable
>that book is.  A British Ido book service is
>selling the same title for L15.60 or L13.60 (hard
>or soft cover).  Perhaps these are new copies of
>the book.  Perhaps all Ido books are antique.
>Any thoughts?

Well, statistically ...

A couple of months ago I found four or five book services on line that
handled Ido books; two of them were selling _only_ Ido books. Each of these
two services offered several dozen books. Most of these were dated by
publication. Here are the stats I came up with. First column is decade,
second is the number of books from that decade for the first book service,
third is the equivalent number from the second book service. Note: (1)
Neither page had been updated since 1998 (one of the other services, which
handled a relatively small number of books from several planned language --
so I didn't include it -- had several Ido books published _after_ 1998);
(2) in at least one case (a book by Beaufront) I included it in the 1970s,
since though it was antique in content it was more current by publication
date (a reprint).

1908-1910     1         2*           *One book is dated 1906, but I think
that must be a typo ... ;<)
1911-1920     1        11
1921-1930    13        32
1931-1940    10        13
1941-1950     2         7
1951-1960     1         3
1961-1970     4         9
1971-1980     5        11
1981-1990     2         8
1991-1998     7         4

For comparison, UEA's book service (Esperanto books) also has some pre-WWII
offerings, the oldest being (according to Osmo Buller) Alexis Kivi's play
"The Bootmakers" and J. Linnankoski's novel "The Battle for the House of
Heikkila", both from Finland and both from 1919. However, while a large
part of UEA's stock was made up of period pieces when I joined the
organization a longer time ago than I care to admit quantitatively, most of
those seem to have disappeared from its stocks, which, a cursory study of
their new catalog will show, are now largely made up of titles published in
the last couple of decades.

-- Don HARLOW

Branĉetoj nudaj
Antaŭ ĉiel' lazura