AUXLANG November 2001, Week 1

Re: Poetry by Ezra Clark Stillman

Chris Burd <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:20:41 -0500

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:17:19 -0800, Donald J. HARLOW
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Probably the first item that will appear uniquely on the new server will be
>the five Esperanto poems by the late Ezra Clark Stillman that were
>published in "Dekdu Poetoj" in 1934.
>
>A couple of these -- the ones that appeared in the Esperanto Anthology --
>were posted here several years ago -- but, of course, that posting has
>disappeared into the unfathomable depths of the Auxlang archives. There was
>some interest in this because Stillman was apparently involved in IALA's
>shift from linguistic research to language creation at the beginning of the
>forties, and -- so I gather -- pioneered the "Platonic prototype" method

-- not a description (AFAIK) that Gode or Stillman ever endorsed --

>that Gode and his team used to devise Interlingua's vocabulary. It would be
>interesting to know if Stillman carried his interest in composing poetry
>over into Interlingua (actually, I'm not clear on whether Stillman ever had
>anything to do with IALA's final product).

Stillman was involved with the Interlingua Institute until at least 1986,
most likely till his death in mid-1990s. Whether he wrote any conlang
poetry after the early 1930s (when he would have been in his late 20s),
I've no idea.

Cheers,

Chris