AUXLANG November 2001, Week 1

Re: What's in it for the espists

Chris Burd <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:03:30 -0500

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001 16:23:12 -0500, Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Chris Burd <cburd@I...> wrote:
>> What could be in it for the E-ists is an opportunity
>> to overcome the sectarian tendencies that show up
>> so often.
>        I think you said that the first time I posed
>the question.  (If you didn't, someone else did.)
>I suspect that the "sectarian tendencies" are felt
>more by Idists (for example) than Esperantists.  So
>it's hard for me to be motivated by the prospect of
>their disappearance.

I suppose my impression of Esperantujo is skewed by
the fact that a high proportion of the E-ists I
encounter on the Internet are the sort of Eo
chauvinists who reflexively attack Ia with all
the usual hand-me-down arguments. If I ever get
a chance to drop in on one the Canadian Eo Soc's
meetings (their mailing address is in a town only
30 km from here), I may get a different impression.

On the other hand, it may surprise some of you to
learn that I am not an "interlinguista de nascentia"
:-). If I'd been attracted to the (on-line) Esperanto
milieu when I rediscovered IALs in Dec. 1997, I'd
probably be a (not terribly committed) E-ist now. But
I wasn't. What I found in Ia was not a mirror image
of Esperantujo, or of E-ist philosophies (why bother?),
but something quite different, which to my mind
hadn't been properly tried out yet.

>> Thus they can be promoted as not competing with
>> English. In the same fashion, they don't really
>> compete with each other.
>        Doesn't it depend on how they are presented?
>Ido's slogan "Improved Esperanto" certainly sets
>the stage quite differently than an alternative
>slogan would.

I don't think I included Ido in my list. Obviously,
it competes with Eo.

>> "Vu pingeva rubie la blua."
>> OK, non-interlinguistas, how many mistakes are
>> there in that 5-word text?
>        Er, 6?  7?  I can't even guess what it
>means.  Shouldn't "vu" be "tu" (or te?).  The
>article should be "le", and "blua" looks suspiciously
>like the Esperanto word for "blue".

You've hit all three. It should read:

"Vos [or "Tu"] pingeva rubie le blau"

Personally, I'd write:

"Vos pingeva le blau a rubie"

"Pingeva" means 'painted'.

>        BTW, I looked at the "book."  I couldn't
>get into it enough to see what you were complaining
>about.  So, as one who knows Interlinga, what would
>you write about in an attack on the language.  :-)

Section 42. :-)

Cheers,

Chris