Help for AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG Archives

AUXLANG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

AUXLANG Home

AUXLANG  November 2001, Week 1

AUXLANG November 2001, Week 1

Checking the Sources (all sorts of topics on Ido/Esperanto)

Thomas Alexander <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 4 Nov 2001 15:49:57 -0500

Hi James,
        Thanks for the replies.

> I think you are going to find a taker for that
> dictionary: i have seen two expressions of
> interest on Idolisto already.
        I got the dictionary from an Esperantist
who was clearing out his stocks of books so that
he wouldn't have to leave them to his wife for
her to deal with.  I have no idea how valuable
that book is.  A British Ido book service is
selling the same title for L15.60 or L13.60 (hard
or soft cover).  Perhaps these are new copies of
the book.  Perhaps all Ido books are antique.
Any thoughts?
        My copy is old and was not well made to
start with.  The binding is good, but the pages
are all slightly different sizes, which makes it
a bit frustrating for thumbing through.

        I do not know who Lord Lucan is, but I
can guess he must be Ido's "Kabe".

> Whats in it for the espists?  Well, in my post
> i didnt exactly concentrate on what was in it
> for them.  What i am most concerned about is
> what is in it for me,
        I wondered if that would have been a fair
summary.  BTW, there is certainly something "in
it" for the Esperantists if "it" means your step
closer to Esperanto, but less so if "it" means
the Esperanto movement as a whole changing in such
ways necessary as to attract Idists and other
reformemuloj back to the movement.

> a planned language within my lifetime.
        My entire attitude toward the fina venko
is based on the assumption that it will not happen
in my lifelime.  Ranked among the top 10 most
anoying things that someone can say to an Esperantist
would have to be "It was a nice idea, too bad it
didn't catch on."  It did catch on - just not the
way Zamenhof imagined, at least not (dare I add?)
... yet.

> an IAL movement that is paralyzed
> by a disastrous early history,
        This is interesting too.  I suppose it
would be enough to say that I don't see it this
way - and then assume that you've heard my
thoughts from others all before.

> in which a planned language is stood in
> the way of English, protecting other
> languages against its spread.
        I also can't agree with this.  This kind
of "us against English" thinking is one of the
most limiting factors to the spread of Esperanto
(or any language which is promoted this way.)  In
any direct contest between English and Esperanto,
Esperanto will lose.  The future IAL of the world
would have to be shown to be compatible with
English's current position; shown to compliment
it even as English is phased out.
        Diru al mi, cxu vi volas dauxrigi tiun
konversacion en alia lingvo ol la angla.

> [Espists] are saddled with some pretty unfortunate
> elements in their language that badly need putting
> right if it is to serve as a really effective
> interlanguage.  I am sure that over the years
> many espists have come to realize this themselves,
> but have preferred to stay within the movement for
> what it offers.
        One thing that strikes me when I read various
anti-esperanto tracts is that they could be so much
more effective if they actually knew Esperanto.  :-)
        A major point which is so easy to miss when
looking at Esperanto from the outside is that Esperanto
is a regular living language.  I'm sure you've heard
this all before, but it's key.  Yes, we've noticed
these problems, but for the most part we've found
natural solutions for them.
        Again, at the risk of saying something that
you've already heard - by and large, the differences
between Ido and Esperanto (including the alphabet)
are not the sort of thing which is noticed by people
who are evaluating the idea of an IAL.  Nobody has
ever said to me "nice idea, but this will never work
because there are hats on some of the letters."  Nor
has anybody said "great language, but I don't want
to learn it because 'mi' and 'vi' sound the same in
a noisy room."
        People do say things like: if everbody spoke
Esperanto, the Esperanto culture would be taking over
the world like English is now: This is not an easy
language (assuming that "easy" means you can understand
it without a single lesson): Haven't you ever heard of
the international language called English?:  What, it
doesn't have a country?: and so on.

> If you dont mind me saying,
        Not at all.  I appreciate your openness.

> it seems to me that it may be your esperantism that
> tends to make you question the authors credibility.
        Is it not reasonable that a document of history
should be accurate with regard to historical detail --
especially when it comes to the easy stuff, like when
Esperanto was published?  If the author gets that wrong,
it is reasonable to be suspicious about the other details.

> If you read the article carefully, you will find
> that Beauchemin is not saying that Esp was discovered,
> but that Zamenhof discovered that there was an
> international language latent in the languages
> of europe.
        I read the article carefully the first
time and found exactly what you said I would.
Sorry for not being more clear.  What I meant
to say was that Zamenhof "discovered that there
was an international language latent in the
languages of europe" not "around 1887" as
Beauchemin stated, but more like 1878, or
probably before.
        You called this article "an excellent
exposition of the history of Ido and the
differences between the two languages" yet it
is flawed in the basic facts of Esperanto history
and makes claims about Hachette which you are
not able to verify.

> Regarding Hachette, it is my impression that
> the fact that Hachette had built up a stock
> of books in original Esp may have played a
> part in Z's later refusal to consider any
> changes to the language.
        It's nice to hear that your thoughts
are more mild than Beauchemin's, since he
wrote in his "excellent exposition" that
when Zamenhof talked about unity, it was only
a "deceitful pretext" influenced by greed.
Considering that Zamenhof did not sign any
contract with Hachette, and that Beaufront's
profit margin from the agreement with
Hachette was much better than Z's,
Beauchmin's claims are
hard to believe.
        Maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe the information
I have is just misinformation or wishful thinking
made up by some Esperantists, but at least I
have some bibliographical information which
I could follow up on (unlike Beauchemin), but
even if I haven't followed up on the sources,
I'm left with the question "if there is doubt,
why publish this stuff?", even considering that you
put it out on the web at the peak of your anti-
Eperanto days. I'm amazed at some of the stuff
which passes for scholarly discourse on various
IAL web pages.  Why would James publish an
article making claims about Zamenhof and
Hachette without verifying these claims
first?  Why would Jay publish a tract which
claims that Esperanto has no "-ismo" suffix?
Why would UMI publish an article containing
falsehoods, some of which can be checked
using information from their own website?
Sloppy sloppy sloppy!

michael farris wrote:
> > Zamenhof a "Jewish Pole born in Russia",
> Well, what you call him?

This was one of the points that I said one
could pass by.  :-)

But since you asked, he was a Jew (not an
ethnic Pole) born in what is now Poland,
which was then under the Czar.

Thomas