CONLANG  November 2001, Week 2

CONLANG November 2001, Week 2

Re: I Ching/ Yijing (was Re: musicalexemes (was Re: Interesting Words)

J Y S Czhang <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:57:13 EST

In a message dated 09.11.2001 06:18:07 AM, [log in to unmask] quotes me &
writes:

>>From: J Y S Czhang <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> >    One may even argue it is the very Cornerstone of all educated Chinese
> >culture! (That everything else that came after it - the Tao Te
> >Ching/Daodejing, The Art of War, etc. - is just elaborations based on
>the
> >Oracle - the Book of Changes).
>
>        "All of Chinese thought is a footnote to the Yijing?"  Hmm.
>That doesn't quite work, isn't quite Chinese.
>
>        "All of Chinese thought is a neo-Confucian commentary on the
>Yijing."  That works better. :)

    Not all educated Chinese subscribe to the neo-Confucianist
interpretations of the I Ching.
    Just cuz the neo-Confucianists have the "mainstream" influence on a large
part of East Asian cultures doesn't mean there are other, almost as
influential views tapping their roots into the Yijing (I Ching).
    The I Ching is more rooted in the early post-shamanistic phase of Taoism
than anything Confucianist like the Book of Rites.

    czHANg