CONLANG  November 2001, Week 2

CONLANG November 2001, Week 2

Re: [wEr\ Ar\ ju: fr6m] ? Am I right??

D Tse <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 07:37:55 -0000

<<
SuomenkieliMaa, do you know how the names are written in Japanese
characters? This is what I get from JWPce's dictionary: I'm familiar
with
the characters for Tokyo and Japan, but Suginami is unfamiliar to me.

"{ Japan [nihoN\]
" Tokyo [to:kjo:]
? Suginami [sMginami]

(And are these IPA transcriptions acceptably close to the Japanese
pronuncation?)

I know I'm not the person to whom your question is directed, still, I
can see the first 2 (nihon and tookyoo) written in ShiftJIS, but the
3rd one is not visible for me.

Suginami, literally row of cedars is written &#26441;&#20006; in ShiftJIS I
believe, though you may want to ask SuomenkeliMaa, being one who has
presumably known the kanji for his place of residence having lived
there for a reasonable amount of time :)

Imperative