CONLANG  February 2002, Week 1

CONLANG February 2002, Week 1

Re: Linguistic shoplifting. Was: May you all...

Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Feb 2002 03:48:16 -0500

Roger Mills wrote:
>William Annis wrote:
> >        My goodness.  I do this all the time.  Vaior is full of
> >borrowed words, though they often undergo some changes to fit into
> >Vaior's phonology.  This fitting often involves metathesis to get
> >allowed consonant clusters, which masks the etymology.
>
>Very amusing.  Confession time?  Surely we're all sinners........

Me at least. The most obvious example in Tairezazh is _gron_ "time", from
Greek "khronos". There's no rational for kh>g (rather than to Tairezazh /k/,
which's [k^h]) - it's merely an unsystematic change so as to make the
borrowing less glaringly obvious. Then there's the really illogical ones, eg
_zail_ [zail] "young" from German _Zeit_ [tsait] "time".

Kalini Sapak's vocaulary is partly a mere corruption of English - the very
name means "clans' speech", and comes form the roots KLN and SPK, which in
turn are simply the consonants of "clan" and "speak". Again, there's some
screamingly illogical ones, like _qayak_ ['NEjak] "horse" from "kayak" -
Eskimoes paddle and the Kalana ride!

                                                     Andreas