CONLANG  March 2002, Week 3

CONLANG March 2002, Week 3

Re: CHAT hundi (was: Some more Madzhi grammar)

Raymond Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:20:15 +0000

At 3:25 pm -0500 20/3/02, John Cowan wrote:
>Raymond Brown scripsit:
>
>> I'm not sure all the Esperantists did agree exactly what 'hundi' meant; but
>> certainly they weren't going elaborate on any disagreement in that forum.
>> I thought the consensus among the Esperantists was "to be a dog", but I
>> might well have been mistaken.
>
>This is what I found on the subject at
>http://www.bertilow.com/pmeg/pmeg10/vfqfinvf.php :
>(For those who don't want to wade through the Esperanto, "hundi"
>is defined as "act like a dog, live like a dog".)

Thanks.

[snip]

>So we can see that the rules that determine the meaning of denominal
>verbs are pretty complex, and surely not very complete.

Surely not - I suspected that might be so.  I can well understand that
Esperantists on Auxlang would not want to make that too obvious when
replying to the polemics of others; which is probably why I misunderstood
what 'hundi' meant.

Ray.

A mind which thinks at its own expense
will always interfere with language.