CONLANG  March 2002, Week 4

CONLANG March 2002, Week 4

Re: Alexiteca, _Aalexsit'exaa_

J Y S Czhang <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:52:32 EST

en 03.24.2002 12.45.28 AM g.rafi X.rist'ofee.Grrandzir .ts' meme-g.rafi:

>En réponse   J Y S Czhang <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>>     How else to have the _au_ /@U/ diphthong and thus be able to write
>> _Aum_, "Om" /@Um/?  ;)
>>     IIRC, "Aum" is the older Romanization of the Sanskrit or is it just
>> an alternative spelling?
>
>In a little introduction of Sanskrit I have, the phoneme /o:/ is described
>as "a leaning towards u", and thus transcribed "au". This transcription
>also emphasises the fact that Sanskrit "au" could only be long (according to
>that little introduction, only "a", "i" and "u" had short forms opposed to
long
>ones).

    I thought so. The difference between British and American speech habits
confused me there (I tend to flux 'tween the two - my British annunciation is
still evident but the "accent" is negligible, almost like an upper-class New
Englander who went to Yale [my Mum did] or like a less obnoxious Carl Sagan
;).

>>     Vowels are pronounced individually, each form the nucleus for their
>> own syllable.
>
>How do you solve hiatus? Or don't you solve them and just keep them? (you
>can do that, that's what my Astou does and what Old and Middle French did :))
>)

    ... tho' I am not too certain about that concept to be ruthlessly honest,
but I think the idea of syllable division being lexeme-/lexico-semantically
dependent is a factor in prosody , i.e. “centi-meter,” “peri-meter,”
“thermo-meter,”Ol-i-go-cene,” “Paleo-cene,” “Poly-gonum,” ... the Greek
word “anamiktos” pronounced/written _ana-miktos_ means mixed up,
_an-amiktos_ means unmixed, not mixed up!!!  "Lexeme division" -
_lexeme-idee_ - is highly marked - both by stressing and ortho-graphy.
    Luckily I am choosing mostly word-roots that have (C)(C)V(C)(C) or
(V)(C)CV patterns or similar.
    Am I on target or off?  0_o?

>> VOWELS, other LIQUIDS, RHOTICS, etc.:
>
>> i           u                   ee            oo
>>       U                                   Ã
                                ^^^ should be an umlaut-ed 'u'
<SNiP>

>Please don't use Unicode encoding in e-mails please :(( <sob>. Well, it's
>not that bad since I can read it on my webmail (I just change the encoding
>of IE for a minute :)) ). But if this time it worked, some times it doesn't
:((
    --->   elsewhere Christophe writes:
>Why don't you write /U/ simply "u"? After all, you mark /u/ as "oom". Or
>is it an aesthetic claim? :))

    Sorry. I try to remember... but get - er - um - rather manic...
I am still fine-tuning my conlang's phonetic inventory and orthography ...
and I came up with a much shorter name _ .ur'-ae'u'm _ *
    << * _ae_ is the ligature digraph coopted to "schwa" /@/ in .ur'-ae'u'm;
_'u'_ is my ASCII for umlaut u coopted to be /U/>>

    .ur'-ae'u'm /3:` @Um/..."Ur-Aum" or "Ur-Om" in _Aanglis_ ;)
    .ur'-ae'u'm's name:
        - fits the sound-symbolism in this Conlang - the various multi-level
phono-lexico-semantic metaphors being "built" into .ur'-ae'u'm
        - is a nice touch of dead-pan punning (dead as Ur, the ancient
Sumerian city) on the sounds made by someone brain-farting, i.e. "eh...er...
ummm..."  ;)
        - is an _hommage_ to the mix of languages & ideas contributing to it

    vaevo .ur'-ae'u'm ~ aa-lego-lexsi-t'exaa meme-idee linga-.lilaa!  ae'u'm
    /v@vo 3:`_h @Um  a lego leksi t_heka meme idi linga L_hila    @Um/

    life/intensity Ur-Aum, a-Lego-word(s)-bag/-contain(er) Gestalt-thought(s)
... tongue(phallic)-(divine)play/creation!  Aum

    (Long)life (to) Ur-Om, a Lego-like language of current, powerful ideas
and creative sacred-&-profane word play! Om

>>     It's a great strategy for making a somewhat-flexible, user-friendly
>> phonology(& its orthography) IMHO to cope with _really_ difficult consonant
>> clusters and also a nice effect in a basically spartan, minimalistic
>> phonology * (I cobbled it together based on Richard Harrison's and
>> Rick Moreanu's NatLang data on "easiest"-phonemes-to-pronounce and then
>> tossed in a few "spicy" dissonant notes as counterpoint to the basic
harmony ...
>> I think I want a just a couple more simple "rough, cracked" sound-colours
>> and timbres tho'. Suggestions?).
>
>Use creaky voice? It can be used with both vowels and consonants, and is
>easy to recognise and produce (though I had never heard of it just a few
months
>ago, it took me one use of the IPA Help program to master creaky voice :)) .
>I wish it was the same with other sounds :((( ), or at least relatively easy,
>and still very exotic.

    I tend to have a low, gutteral creaky voicing (a la heroin junkies like
the late William S. Burroughs but a little more aggressive like Japanese
samurai speaking). And my throat chanting/singing of "dark"-coloured rhotic
vowels and rhotic-to-trill-R sounds in the velar-to-epiglottal ranges seem to
have had some slight effect on my conlanging recently.
    And my polyglot fiend-friend Yuri wrote to me about the 2 different
"coloured," emphasized L sounds in Russian:
     alveolar lateral approximant /l/ - i.e. English "life" "lively"
    - and -
     the wonderfully "darker" sound of the velar lateral approximant /L/ -
the final 'l's in "lethal", "school" ,"pool", "gutteral" if one annunicates
the English clearly - not mumbled... ah! "mumbled" has the dark L!  At least
in my dialect...  interestin'... ::dark mumbling like a lunatic
language-mangler::  :)

>OFF-TOPIC (but may be interesting :)) ):
>
>>     * One of the connotations of the Japanese Zen concept of _wabi_
>> /"wQbI/is that of a cultivated naturalness and minimalistic, stark poetic
>> purity - "perfect imperfection/imperfect perfection": simple,
one-of-a-kind,
>> roughly created, asymmetrical, plainly coloured, deliberately cracked and
flawed
>> by the very processes of creation (working with/mimicking Nature),
>> "Appropriate Tech/High Touch," etc.
<ZNiP>

>A very important concept in Japan. IMO, it's basically their concept of
>perfection. The Western concept of perfection is something which has only
>qualities. For the Japanese, such a thing cannot exist. Their concept of
>perfection is one of perfect balance: a perfect thing balances its drawbacks
>with its qualities. Same for people: a perfect person in the Western sense
>would simply be inhuman for a Japanese. For them, a perfect person with
>some exceptional qualities must balance them with some strong defects to stay
>human.

    In referring to embracing one's Shadow - or one's Dark Side - to reclaim
one's soul, Carl Jung wrote: "I rather be whole than good."
    I aspire to that ;)

>That's for instance why characters of Japanese manga with exceptional
qualities
>have often a stupid side: to keep them from becoming inhuman. For instance,
>Goku of Dragon Ball Z is the perfect warrior, ready to sacrifice himself
>for humanity. Yet he is also very naive and glutton, and not very smart.
Saeba
>Ryo from City Hunter is the perfect private detective, keeping cold blood
when
>danger is near and able to use his gun with chirurgical precision.

    "Chirurgical" ? :) ::runs to the OED::  Not there!  OH... ya mean
"surgical"?
hmmm, I kinda like the look of that word...
    .ur'ae'u'm -ized:  xi.rurrgixaa  /kiR\ur\`gika/

> Yet he is also a pervert who would do anything to go out with girls :)) .
And let's
>take my favourite character, Sailor Moon :)) . She is a clumsy, bad-at-school
>crybaby. Yet she is ready to sacrifice herself for her friends at any time
>and her power to love is so great that she'll save the whole humanity with
>it :)) .

    Intriguin'. I need to get "into" anime more when I have the time & money
(oh I have time on my hands, I am "disabled"... it's the money part that I
don't).

>Sorry for the digression, but I thought it might be an interesting cultural
>explanation :)) .

    ::singin' silly ditty::  I sorry, you sorry, we all sorry...
                        the whole bleedin' human race is sorry...
    ::stops::
    I'll shut-up now.           For now ;)

>Christophe.
>
>http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr
>
>Take your life as a movie: do not let anybody else play the leading role.

    Esp'ly if they don't _support_ yours. Or cooperate with you in the spirit
of union and cross the line ;)  "Don't tread on my picket line..."

::zipz ze Zhangie lipz::

Hanuman Zhang {HANoomaan JAHng} /'hanuma~n  dZa'hN/

CENTO: twinkle twinkle lil stars

Un COUP De DéS ... JAMAIS ... N'ABOLIRA ... Le HASARD
<>
    I Tell You: One must still have chaos in one to give birth to a dancing
star!
    O! Notte stellata... matematica...
les astres sont le silencieux orchestre des mondes in connus
OM ... m'illumino d' immenso... OM