CONLANG  March 2002, Week 4

CONLANG March 2002, Week 4

Politeness

Ian Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:37:55 -0500

Hey, I had an idea for a "politeness" rule in Lyngom-Vampyr and was wondering if
a similar phenomenon occurs in any natlang.

Since my vampires are a rather proud group, I thought it would make sense that
they would tend not to ask direct questions, in the same way that guys don't ask
for directions when they're lost. A direct interrogative form may or may not
*exist*, but it would rarely be used. "Where is the door?" would translate to
something like, "If you would tell me the lo