CONLANG  March 2002, Week 4

CONLANG March 2002, Week 4

Re: semi-OT: names

Aquamarine Demon <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:58:46 -0800

>>Taalennin: I'd be Tano Leithe in Seiyath, Mass.

tano: tan 'fire' + -o masc. suffix (< OI aod -a/n)
leithe: gen. sg. of leth 'gray, ashes'
seiyath: sei 'chant' + yath 'bridge', from a bad analysis of Cambridge as
cantobrigia, singing bridge.
mass < massachusetts, since I have no idea what it means.

   Aidan<<

Neat! I have yet to give a meaning to my name... I'm just making it sound
like my real name. But that may change.

>>I don't know what it'd be in Eretas, but in Térnaru, Ireland would be
the rather unoriginal `Éra' /e:4&/. My name? No idea. Trying to get it to
fit into Térnaru's phonotactics would give me:

Kít Márdan Gaúxan<<

Nifty. I have no idea what /e:4&/ is, tho, so sorry. I don't know anything
about that.

>>Eretas would (now) have that rendered:

  Kídh Mártenne Gauhan<<

Ooh, I like the looks of that.

>>An upcoming language I'm planning would currently render my name
something like

  Kíte Merine Gána<<

Oooh, that too. :)

>>Normally all my languages have their own native names. But I usually
don't make them :)).<<

I haven't got that far yet... tho I'm sure most any word(s) can become a
name. So far, i've just been making phonetic approximations of existing
names.

>>The only language I have a name in is Moten. In it, My name is |Sela
Jemufan Atlinan C.G. The components of this name (sigoj) are:<<

Cool... what's the "|" in |Sela for?

>>- the first name (samsigoj): |Sela. Like in Latin, the list of first
names available is closed (there are only 10 first names), and they are
epicene (they can be used by men as well as women, without change).<<

Ah. Interesting.

>>- the family name (nu|zigoj): Jemufan. The person can choose to wear the
nu|zigoj of his/her father or mother, and even change between the two
during life. Mine is the translation of the hypothetical etymology of my
French last name: "great river".<<

Nifty... I *think* my last name translates to a French first name, but
what THAT name means, I have no idea. So, I can't really translate that
literally yet.

>>- the birth name (pa|nasigoj): Atlinan. Chosen by the parents at the
birth of the child, it's the name usually used by the family to call the
person, and thus is used like our first name. This name has to have a
meaning. Here, since my parents couldn't have chosen me a name, I chose
myself a name meaning transparently "firebird".<<

Ah. Why firebird, may I ask?

>>- the nickname (va|lesigoj): C.G. It's a nickname chosen by the person
him/herself, at last at his/her majority, which is destined to be used by
his/her friends to refer to this person (thus also like a first name, but
this time used outside the family). Unlike the other three parts, this
name can be in another language than Moten. It may even be a glyph (though
there should always be a way to vocalise it). In my case, I simply chose
my initials, spelt in English.

Christophe.<<

Wow... don't think I could handle that many names... but it is very
interesting...

>>Well, Madzhi would render my name as [vr&nk dZordZ valotsi] if we take
the English form, [vErEnts d_j2rd_j valotsi] if we use the Hungarian
form.<<

I wish I knew.... ignorant of how things like [vr&nk dZordZ valotsi] work.
Sorry. :(

>>And, the city where I live would be called [v&nkuv@r], though the
capital city of the Madzhi Empire is located in the same place as
Vancouver is here, and it is called Sk'ekhmish [sk'ExmiS] (from Salish
"Skw7xw7mesh" [sk_w?x_w?mES]).<<

Ah, nifty!

>>Madzhi personal names that I know of include [vajk], [kaban] and
[arbud]. Surnames as we know them do not exist; the Madzhi use
patronymics, for example, Kaban, the son of Vajk would be Kaban Vajkov;
Arbud, son of Kaban would be Arbud Kabanov. The extended form of Arbud's
name would be Arbud Kabanov Vajkovov, indicating the grandfather's name.<<

Oh, like the Scandinavians used to do? Neat.

>>Place names in the Madzhi Empire are derived from local aboriginal
names, like Sk'ekhmish mentioned above.<<

I like that idea.

>>Noelle: Las Vegas lies about 20 miles from the Madzhi-Mejican border, in
the United States of Mejico. (The four majour countries in North America
*there* are the Madzhi Empire, the United States of Mejico, the United
States of America and Quebec.)

---ferko<<

Oh... a border city! ;)

>>Jerbí Neltelna (Demon Aquamarine) nsakwish:<<

Oooh... I like that.

>>Doing a direct translation, "Christopher" means "Christ-bearer", Christ"
means "anointed one", and "Wright" means smith.

Sturnan: Sangaver (Sanga from sangei "anoint", ver from verei "carry")
Narlos ("smith")
Hansu: Bhindeg (Bhind from bhíndi "anoint", eg from uhegi "carry") Malha
(from malhu "blacksmith") (That's /BIndEg malxa/, just so you know.)
Lashkos: Unkware (from ukwir "to anoint" and poftar "to carry") Firos
("blacksmith", from L. ferreus "[made] of iron, TRANS cruel, TRANS
death")<<

Ah... I like these...nifty. :)

>>I haven't bothered much with botanical terms, so I can't translate
"Hemlock" (except perhaps Nekmedh, Sturnan for "Death honeyed beverage",
but that's different).<<

Hmm...I think I only have a couple generic terms, like "flower" and
"plant", so that's not so bad.

>>The newly confused
Unkware Firos<<

Hehe...

>>Names in Tirelat are changed to fit Tirelat phonology, but the
guidelines for doing this transformation have been even less stable than
the Tirelat phonology itself. I'd probably have something like "Xø'me~n
Mile~r" for my name (imagine that the apostrophe is an acute accent, and
the tildes are breves on top of the e's), which is pronounced ["x8:m@n
"mIl@r]. Note that this is the most recent revision of the Tirelat
spelling, which isn't yet on the web page: in the old spelling it would
have been "Khêmën Milër".<<

Interesting.

>>In Evíendadhail, my name would be "Certé Màthyúen Úillyam Emnathós" (I
think that's /k.Er.te.m}T.jy.En.y.Il.jam.Em.naT.Os/. Maybe.).
The first name is my family name, Kehrt. In Cádhrér, this name is
passed down from from father to son and from mother to daughter. The
second two are my given names, first and middle, Matthew William. The
last is a nickname: in this case it means "with the coat." I chose this
both because I like the sound of it, and because it is a translation of
one of my English nicknames, "Kehrt-in-the-Coat", due to my large black
trenchcoaty thing.<<

I like that, too. Especially the nickname. Neat. :)

>>In Cádhrér, the nickname is what people are called by friends. By
strangers, people are called by their first (and normally only) given name
and their nickname.  The full name is used only on very formal ceremonies,
such as marriages or coronations. Nicknames are normally chosen by the
person named, although sometimes a noble or king may bestow one on a
subject.<<

They are known by their given name and nickname? Why not family name? I
have to admit that is interesting. :)

>>Evíendadhailis names for mails tend to be two element kennings. For
example, a common name (and the name of the second high king of
Cádhrér,) is Arthwin. This is from Ar, 'blood', + th(w)in, 'quick' and
translates fairly cleanly to 'Quickblood.' Sometimes the masculine
suffix -en is added to the name, giving a name such as Arthwinen.
Female names tend to be short, one element names, normally things like
flowers, jewels and descriptions, although there are few multi-element
female names. A normal female name is Lòra, which means 'flower'. In
this case, the feminine suffix -a has been added to lòr, 'flower'. A
multi-element female name would be Nwelroth or Nwelrotha.  This is from
Nwel, 'hair', + roth, 'golden colored.' I like to translate it as
'Goldilocks' ;-).<<

Wow... :)
Why do men have more complex names? Is it just because, or is there a
reason?

>>I live in Cranbury, New Jersey, USA.  This would be something like
Incweran Ithgyersíis Arenis Itheredhwíis Emairis Américalis.
That is:

In.     cweran
village."cran"

Ith.gyersíis Aren.is
in*.Jersey   new.NEUT

Ith.eredhwí.  is   Emair.   is    América.(l)is
in* sate(pl.).NEUT together.NEUT  America. **NEUT

*Locative?
**Evíendadhail puts /l/s in between similar vowels at morpheme breaks to
prevent dipthongalization.

NEUT- that which is modified by the modifyier is of the neutral (no
gender) gender.

Wow.  I wrote a lot.  Ah, well.

-M<<

The United States in my conlang is Yolezáheno Ísitum.

>>In Kemr, where Brithenig and Kerno are spoken, there is an official
Onomasticon - a list of acceptable given names. This list gives Brithenig
or Kerno forms of common names (like John or Peter) and serves as an
official depository of alterations to foreign names. Onomasticon also
gives the legal form of each name, which by tradition is in Latin. It
shouldn't be misunderstood that there is a set list of names from which a
parent can choose; only that there is a correct form for any name a parent
picks. No Kelly / Keli / Kelli / Kellie / Keyllie / etc.
ad naus. sort of thing.<<

Official spelling... interesting. Useful, I guess... it would lessen
confusion/nausea... ;)

>>In general, foreign place names are left in the local (foreign)
orthography. Well known places often have peculiar names in
Brithenig or Kerno (like Lundein/Lundunon or Noruic'/Noruicce);
though are usually no more than alterations to make the foreign
name pronounceable. Kerno does this latter more than Brithenig,
though, and tends to retain older / more traditional names:
Balea-Clea (Dublin); Lugdunon (Lyons).<<

Ah... neat. :)

>>For example:

name            Brithenig       Kerno           Official

Peter           Pedr            Petheor         Petrus
Constantine     Costenhin       Costentin       Constantinus
Patrick         Padrig          Patris/Patrisyw Patricius
Helen           Elen            Elena           Helene
Mohammed        Moamed          Mahometh        Mahometus
Rajan           Rajan           Raigeoan        Raianus
Nneka           Nika            Nicka           Nica
Ching-Er        Cing-Er         Cingerea        Singaria
Noelle          Nadelig         Nathalecca      Natalica<<

Ooh! I like those translations of my names! Especially the one in Kerno.
Looks neat.

>>Padrig Bryn / Patrice Bryn; living near Ciwdad Geory /
Castregeoury / Georgetown in Prowinc' Ter Mar / Prouencea la
Ter-Marea / the Province of Mary Land; in lla Lig Sollem / la
Liga Solemba / the Solemn League.<<

:) Neat!

>>Lasi = city; Yegase = of sin? ;)<<

Nah... I didn't translate by meaning yet :). If I did, it'd probably be...
Lo Ímizon, assuming I'm correct about Las Vegas meaning "the valleys",
though, I'm not sure, cause I don't know Spanish. Oo, actually, I do like
Lo Ímizon better than Lasi Yegase.

>>By the way, v -> y is curious!

Padraic.
--
Gwerez dah, chee gwaz vaz, ha leal.<<

Well, I don't have v, don't have f... couldn't really think of anything I
had that would be closer than y, so I just put that. There might be
something better with what I've got, but I have no idea what I have that
could be closer than y.

>>Well, my (short-form) Rokbeigalmki name is Tzíhvi Rish-Darish-Aoledh.
Tzíhvi ['ts)i-:vi] (that should be an I-acute between the Z and the H) is
my personal name, a shortened version of my Hebrew name Tzvi-hersh, and
Rish-Darish-Aoledh is an 'occupational' last name meaning Student-
Teacher-Creator; the "Creator" of course referring to the conlang
istelf.<<

Oh, I like that… hyphens might drive me crazy though, but that's just me I
suppose.

>>My Tierean/Gabwe name is probably just Ur' Bahar'av (R' = R-acute) [u:R
ba:ha:Ra:v] (/R/ = velar approximant), the name of my Live Action
Role-Playing character for whom i developed the language. If i always
went by that rule, my Rokbeigalmki name would be Stíígiyus Nededh-Yagh
(= Stygius Wanderer-Fisherman), but i guess i have a real Rokbeigalmki
name of my own because i'm more involved in it that i just need to be to
use it as Stygius (my ElendorMUSH character)'s mother tongue. Gabwe, on
the other hand, was only invented and developed for Ur'. If i tried to
Gabweize my name, it would be something like Teg Ber't-Ki [tE:g bE:Rt
ki:].<<

Interesting.

"New York" in Rokbeigalmki is just Nihyáúk [ni-'jO:k];  in Standard
Tierean Gabwe it would be something like Du-Yurk [du: ju:rk].

-Stephen (Steg)

>>Well, the Tairezazh word for "planet Earth" is _Taia_, and the Steianzh
one is _Taie_ [taj.@]. No name for Europe, Sweden or Linköping as yet,
altho' the general areas denoted by the two fromer undoublty must have
Tairezazh names.<<

Taia and Taie... I like them! :)

>>I'm not to much in favour of translating personal names; I'd probably
simply call myself _Andréas Júhansson_ if writing in either language (in
the Maidzhen Klaish script, of course). The Tairezazhen would probably
mangle that as ['andreas 'ouansOn], and the Steianzhen as['andr@s
'ju@ns@n].

                                            Andreas<<

Ah, I see.

>>Siyo!
I transliterate people and place names to my *very* strict phonology. But
I have some rules in transliteration beyond the ones governing "normal"
transliterations (ie ones for deriving roots):
Initial vowel receives /h/
Initial /dZ/ and /tS/ transliterate as /hits/
To fit the phonology, the word has to end in a vowel.
In order to accomplish this, the -CV combination is strictly codified for
transliteration:
-da, -dla, -ha, -ka, -kwa, -li, -mi, -ni, -sa, -ta, -tsi, -wa, -ya<<

Oooh, interesting!

>>My name and location in Kayasanoda:
Kalinita (or Kwinita) Hitsakisoni Makeli
[Clint Jackson Baker]
Maluminitoni, Hinidihana, Hamelika
[Bloomington, Indiana, America]<<

Neat. :)

>>My Lang...

daZwnara daZwzufara hololara
(John Joseph Hill)

I live in:

fanwtugasa, galwnudasa, united kanwdumara
(Wantage, England, United Kingdom)<<

:) Interesting. Why didn't you do anything with "United"?
In my conlang, United Kingdom would be Yolezáheno Shikuno.

>>.ur-ae'u'm ="anumaan d:j"ang  /h_han.uma~n dZ_haN/

Hanuman Zhang  {HANoomaan JAHng} /'hanuma~n  dZahN/<<

Ah.... neat.

=====
The Aquamarine Demon
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry." -Edgar Allan Poe

"It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." -Mark Twain