CONLANG  April 2002, Week 3

CONLANG April 2002, Week 3

Re: Interlect: YAIAL, a personal view

Danny Wier <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Apr 2002 21:09:42 -0500

From: "Christian Thalmann" <[log in to unmask]>

> --- In conlang@y..., Carlos Thompson <chlewey@C...> wrote:
>
> > Phonology:
> > The language has the following set of phonemes (orthography at the
> > right)
> > consonants:
> >  m  p  b  f      w  |  m p b f     w
> >  n  t  d  s  r l    |  n t d s r l
> >     c  J\ C      j  |    c j x     y
> >     k  g  x         |    k g h
>
> Using /x/ in an IAL might not be the best of ideas.  It's missing in
> many of the world's most-spoken languages.

It exists in Esperanto, but isn't used very much (mainly Greek loans like
_hxaoso_ "chaos"). Also, /x/ could have an allophone of [h]. My Trolls have
H, but it's actually pronounced [G\] (IPA gamma) or not at all.

I do think having both "ich-Laut" and "ach-Laut" in an IAL isn't too
practical, however.

~Danny~