CONLANG June 2002, Week 4

Re: Viko Notes

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:29:24 -0400

Joe wrote:
> What about 'It is I'. Both are acceptable, though 'It's me' is more
> widespread.

"It's I" is an invention of grammarians, and sounds pedantic to most
speakers. I'll say "This is he", however, on the phone if someone asks
for me by name, but that's the only environment in which I'll use the
"nominative" in a predicate. (I'm not even sure nominative/subjective
and accusative/objective are valid terms in describing spoken
colloquial English, given how they're actually used)

--
"There's no such thing as 'cool'. Everyone's just a big dork or nerd,
you just have to find people who are dorky the same way you are." -