CONLANG  June 2002, Week 4

CONLANG June 2002, Week 4

Re: "Transferral" verb form in LC-01

John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:50:44 -0400

H. S. Teoh scripsit:

> > This allows many words which have seperate roots in, say, English to
> > be derived in LC-01.  For example, a verb "to kill" may be derived
> > from the verb "to live", in the cessative aspect, plus a causative.
>
> Nice idea. Maybe I'll adapt it for Ebisedian :-)

Unfortunately, there are straightforward counterexamples to this,
which is why Lojban has a separate root for "kill".  If I shoot
you on Friday and you linger for two days and then expire, I can
say:

        I shot you on Friday and caused you to die on Sunday.

but not

        *I shot you on Friday and killed you on Sunday.

--
John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>     http://www.reutershealth.com