CONLANG  June 2002, Week 5

CONLANG June 2002, Week 5

Re: Missing parts

Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:07:09 +0200

En réponse à "Thomas R. Wier" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Generally not.  There are languages that have voiceless vowels
> as allophones (e.g. Japanese) and perhaps even some that have
> voiceless vowels phonemically distinct from voiced vowels.

I think some Northern American languages have phonemical distinction between
voiced and voiceless vowels. I remember reading an online grammar of such a
language where two suffixes with different meanings differed only by the voice
of their vowel. But I just don't remember which language it was...

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr