CONLANG  July 2002, Week 2

CONLANG July 2002, Week 2

Re: Thorn vs Eth

Tristan McLeay <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jul 2002 10:32:18 +1000

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 08:11, Barbara Barrett wrote:
> > Steg Studied;
> > You actually pronounce "width" /wIdD/?
>
> Barbara Babbles;
> Yep, never drop Ls, Hs, or yods, never skip Ts, insert "r"s, or replace
> "ng" with syllabic N either; distinguish between both  broad and short

Syllabic /N/? Where do you find those? (Both in words and in space.)
Unbelievable to me; the velar quality of /N/ means that the most reduced
the previous vowel will come out as is /I/.

> BTW which transcription system are you guys using? "&wr" makes no sense
> to me :-(

A cross between X-SAMPA and Kirsh, I do believe. Mainly X-SAMPA but with
/&/ because no-one can remember the difference between /{/ (/.ae/) and

Tristan.