CONLANG  July 2002, Week 2

CONLANG July 2002, Week 2

Re: USAGE: Verse, was: Re: Thorn vs Eth

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:13:14 -0400

Roger Mills wrote:
>  However, in all my roughly 25,000 days I've never heard it pronounced with
> final /z/, as if it were "verses"; the final /s/ is always voiceless, even
> from dum-dum sports commentators (amazingly).

Interestingly, I say it with a /s/ when it refers to legal cases, but
usually a /z/ when it's sports teams, altho it may be /s/ if the second
team starts with a voiceless consonant.  UF vs. FSU would usually be
/vr=sIs/, but "FSU vs. UF" would be /vr=sIz/

I don't know if that's an idiosynracy of mine, or a feature of my
dialect.  I'll have to try to listen for that.

At any rate, as /s/, /z/, and /Iz/ are varients of the same morpheme,
maybe it's simply analyzed as a slightly irregular form?

--
"There's no such thing as 'cool'.  Everyone's just a big dork or nerd,
you just have to find people who are dorky the same way you are." -