SCUBA-L July 2002, Week 5

Re: Making your own weight bags....

Nick Simicich <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 29 Jul 2002 23:32:43 -0400

The "Dictionary of Occupational Titles" is the list of legal job titles -
used to control comparability for unemployment and the like.  You could be
a 502.362-010 SHOT DROPPER if you drop the metal, or a 509.485-014 SHOT
POLISHER AND INSPECTOR. Or you could be a 599.687-018 LEAD HANDLER.

http://www.oalj.dol.gov/public/dot/refrnc/dot05a.htm,
http://www.wowi.com/crosswalks/Processing/misc.html

Yes, I do have too much time on my hands, and I did too many web searches. :-)

At 01:49 PM 2002-07-29 -0400, Huntzinger, Hugh A [AMSTA-AR-CCL-B] wrote:
> > I think this has to do with the amount of antimony and
> > arsenic in the shot
>
>Antimony is the common alloying agent in lead-core bullets.  For Shot,
>hardness can also be how it was quenched - using water (vs. oil) produces a
>higher hardness.

Right, but in this case, I found references to Magnum Shot and arsenic, but
I think I was wrong...shot made in towers pretty much has to be made with
arsenic to work at all, but the antimony is for hardening.  I was able to
find no reference to any oil quenched shot from shot towers, although there
was this home shot maker below that uses water soluble oil, but it is
hardly a tower.

Also, see:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/HAC/PHA/honolul2/hon_toc.html -- indicates that
air contamination was not a problem, even though there were significant
arsenic (2.5 mg/kg to 2840 mg/kg) residue from shot.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pertab/as.html claims that
Arsenic is used in Lead Shot, specifically to increase hardness and to
improve flow of the liquid metal.

I assume that at least some people do not know how shot is made.  Unlike
cast or swaged bullets, (or buckshot) liquid lead is dropped through a
screen into mid air.  The lead forms into balls in freefall based on
surface tension, and hardens.  Once hardened in midair, it falls into
water.  The point of the arsenic is that it is essential, supposedly, since
it makes the lead "ball" better and also harden better.

This article from Britannia Refined metals claims that Arsenic is always
used with shot, to make it ball and form, whereas Antimony is adjusted for
hardness.

>If you want to skip lead and go Environmentally "Green", you want to find
>some Tungsten (WHA - Tungsten Heavy Alloy).  The key is that you need to
>avoid Cobalt or Nickel in the alloying agents, as these are bad players.
>Tungsten-Nylon and Tungsten-Tin both appear to be good alloys per current
>research.

The main problem with this advice is the cost of the shot ($14/lb was one
price I saw quoted --- to the people who buy it in serious quantity - the
commercial loaders) and the fact that it is not available to reloaders.

http://www.lab.fws.gov/shot/sspps.html describes the regulation that allows it.

However, this article: http://aco.ca/eww/huntclub.htm claims that the
Tungsten steel shot is $14/pound.  They also note that there are no plans
to sell the tungsten shot to reloaders, meaning that you would have to buy
shells and disassemble them to get the shot.  (Also, Tungsten steel can
corrode --- because of this, they galvanize the shot that they use in shells).

https://www.hevishot.com/ makes the shells with the polymer - I wrote them
and asked them if there was any shot available for shot bags.

Part of the issue here is that it is essential that weights be
disposable.  Your lead should be cheap, a few bucks a pound at most, so
that you literally do not care if you have to ditch it.  If a 10 lb weight
belt costs a hundred bucks instead of $20, someone might worry about
ditching it.

If you can find someone who has one of these
jobbies:  http://littletonshotmaker.com/ then you might be able to get
arsenic free shot.  Apparently they use a mixture of "machinists milk"
(water soluble oil) and water to cool the lead - according to the article,
they do not need to add arsenic to get the pellets to round
out.  Interestingly enough, Performance Diver is listed as a "friend" which
probably means that they have bought one or more machines, as is scuba duba.

I wonder about a low tech solution, like coating lead shot with something
rather than using tungsten?   Will galvanizing spray work on lead?

--
Nothing compliments a good meatloaf like a box of fine wine.
Nick Simicich - [log in to unmask]