CONLANG  August 2002, Week 5

CONLANG August 2002, Week 5

Re: Jovian's Verbs From Hell

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:28:53 -0700

--- Christian Thalmann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Irregular   haever /"hajv@r/ "to have"

I understand that J's "ae" came from some sort of
umlaut process but why is the infinitive also
affected? Or is it due to levelling?

>             Singular                Plural
>      1.P    hau    /haw/            havime
> /h@"vi:m/
>      2.P    haese  /hajs/           havise
> /h@"vi:s/
>      3.P    haefte /hEft/           haene   /hajn/
>
>             Participle: haente, -is /hEnt/
>

> As always, feedback is gratefully welcomed.

Of course, I always like irregular verbs. I like
"haefte" best. Is the "f" in some way derived from
the "v" with devoicing due to the "t" of the ending?

> -- Christian Thalmann

Probably the most irregular verb in Kerno is "ir",
_go_.

PRES.

iog             vémus   /joG/   /vemuh/
ves             vez     /vEs/   /vED/
ve (m)          vens    /ve/    /vE~s/
fe (f)          iont    /fe/    /jont_h/

PAST IMPF.

monev           monivon /mon@v/ /mon@vond/
"               monivaz         /mon@v@T/
"               vonivont        /von@vont_h/

PAST PERF.

fu              fuamus  /fu/    /fwamuh/
fus             fuas    /fus/   /fu@s/
fu              fuont   /fus/   /fuont_h/

FUTURE

muniso          munisemus /muniso/      /munIsemuh/
munises         munisez   /munIsIs/     /munIseD/
muniset         vunisont  /munIsET/     /vunIsont_h/

IMPERS

monieor /moneWr/

IMPERAT.

        Pres.           Future
s.      i, vey          monio
pl.     veit            monisonto
3rd     monea, voneant

Participles

        ACT             MID             PASS
pres.   gouazent        gouazement
past    ewyw                            gouazes

"Fer", a form of "facker", _do_ is also pretty
irregular; though it's mostly defective. What you see
is all there is.

PRES.

feo     fem             /feu/   /fE~m/
fackys  fez             /fakIs/ /fED/
fes     font            /fEs/   /font_h/

PAST PERF.

fi      fim             /fi/    /fIm/
fis     fez             /fis/   /fED/
fis     fiont           /fis/   /fiont/

PARTICIPLES

        ACT     MID     PASS
pres    fent    fement
past    feckes          feckes

Padraic.

=====
il dunar-li c' argeont ayn politig;
     celist il pozponer le mbutheor ayn backun gras.