CONLANG  September 2002, Week 1

CONLANG September 2002, Week 1

Re: Oooooo! I hates that varmint! Attn: Dutch speakers

Wed, 4 Sep 2002 08:00:10 +0200

En réponse à "Douglas Koller, Latin & French" <[log in to unmask]>:

> Oooooo! I hates when books do that!
>
> So I'm boning up on Dutch over the summer, and all three of the Teach
> Yourself books I borrowed from the local library mention "gij". All
> three say it's biblical, so don't worry about it (then *why* did you
> bring it up in the first place?; I could've sat in blissful
> ignorance, thank you very much).

Well, it's still used in some Flemish dialects, so they probably added it so
that you can recognise it in case you'd go to the Belgian countryside, Flemish-
speaking part ;))) .

 But one gave us "gij zijd", which
> looks like it may fall in the same spot on the paradigm as "ihr
> seid". But that was it! So in the present tense do I plunk a "-t" on
> the stem like "jij"; do I plunk an "-en" on like "jullie";  or is
> there some wildly errant form I need to know about? And do other
> tenses behave regularly (I assume they do)?

Well, my experience is rather poor here, but from what I've heard on TV from
Belgian speakers who used 'gij', they use it with the same verb forms as 'jij'.
The form 'zijd' is probably extremely biblical ;))) . Although now that I think
of it, since final voiced consonants are devoiced in Dutch, it could very well
be that they write a '-d' instead of a '-t' with 'gij', but with regular verbs
those wouldn't lead to different pronunciations anyway.

> Oooooooo!

Don't worry too much about 'gij'. You won't be expected to use it, just to
recognise it if it appears.

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr