CONLANG  September 2002, Week 1

CONLANG September 2002, Week 1

Re: placename nomenclature [was Re: Attn: Spanish speakers]

"Thomas R. Wier" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Sep 2002 16:52:40 -0500

Quoting Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>:

> Thomas Wier wrote:
> Although the modern
> >inhabitants of Texas are called Texans, they were not always so:
> >during the Republic, they were "Texians", and that is still the
> >appropriate adjective for people living in Texas between 1817
> >and 1845.
>
> I seem to remember seeing the form "Texacans" somewhere. Has it be correct
> usuage during some period or in some context, or is it merely a weirdity?

No, I've never seen that used in serious writing.  I have
seen it used as a joking reference to Texas dialect of
English, or to Texans living outside jokingly referring to
their heritage, and even once nonjokingly as a synonym for
TexMex food.

Thomas Wier
Dept. of Linguistics  "Nihil magis praestandum est quam ne pecorum ritu
University of Chicago sequamur antecedentium gregem, pergentes non qua
1010 E. 59th Street   eundum est, sed qua itur." -- Seneca
Chicago, IL 60637