CONLANG  September 2002, Week 3

CONLANG September 2002, Week 3

CHAT: "Godhead"[LONG] (wasRe: 2nd pers. pron. for God)

J Y S Czhang <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:46:36 EDT

In a message dated 09/12/2002 07.19.02 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>When you pray to Buddha, are you a theist?  The word coined for
>non-atheist will have to cover, IMO, monotheists, polytheists,
>religious deists, non-realists, people who pray to Buddha and people
>with independent spiritualities.  I'm not sure _theist_ can cope with
>that load.

    While we are on this thread... I decided to chime in with a little
rundown on _just some_ ways people throughout history have viewed "God(s)",
"Higher Power(s)", "Supreme Being(s)", etc. [this is fascinating fodder for
ConCultures BTW...]:

JUST A FEW OF THE INFINITE WAYS -Commonly Known & Otherwise - OF
CONCEPTUALIZING THE GODHEAD (or God-Reality):

NOTE: some of the following concepts have much overlapping, i.e. it is
possible to be a monotheistic dualist, a pluralistic therianthropotheistic
animist or a non-dualistic henotheistic polytheistic panentheist...

atheism - belief & arguement that there is no god or gods

agnosticism - skepticism to whether god or gods exist or not, that such
metaphysical speculations, ideas & concepts are neither provable or unprovable

deism - belief in a "God" who initiated Creation and set its
mechanistic/scientific laws in place, allowing Creation to pursue its own
course or evolution (hence the metaphor of "God" being a "Watchmaker Supreme"
and Creation a "Clockwork Cosmos")

physitheism/transcendentalism - belief in "God" based on the arguement for
God's existence based purely on determinate and/or aesthetic experience of
the natural world, esp'ly of its order, purposiveness and beauty

monotheism/monolatry - belief & worship of one & only one "God" - "a
personal, loving, good God" - usually male - who freely created all that
exists out of nothing & who continues to preserve & control it;
doctrines/dogmas related to those belief systems (i.e. Judaism, Christianity
and Islam)

anthropotheism/anthropomorphism/anthropolatry - belief conceiving "God" or
gods in human imagery and/or terms, attributing human qualities to the
Godhead - "Man created God in His Own Image."
    From the ancient Egyptian Stela 797, inscribed during the reign of
Pharaoh Sabakos (about 8th c. BCE), repeating a much older text from about
the year 2850 BCE: "Every divine word came into existence by the thought of
the heart and the commandment of the tongue. When the eyes see, the ears
hear, and the nose breathes, they report to the heart. It is the heart that
brings forth every issue, and the tongue that repeats the thought of the
heart. Thus were fashioned all the gods, from Atum [the first Egyptian deity]
on."
    Alexander Eliot writes, "Thus one of the most ancient paragraphs in the
present possession of mankind likens the Creator of all things to the
creative heart of man himself.”

polytheism - belief & worship of many gods & goddesses... the gods came out
of the primal Chaos/Void, and from the gods came the essences of all things -
some gods giving essences to some things, others to different things --- good
& evil, war & peace, mart & knowledge, etc.. Humans contain the essences of
all the gods. Hence there is war amongst the gods even as there is war
with/in/amongst humans ... "All men have need of the gods." ~ Homer [One
approach to polytheism in modern psychological/spiritual terms is to see the
gods as archetypes, character trait ideals, aspects of the Godhead we seek to
imitate or be possessed by, etc.]

kathenotheism - belief & worship of one god after another in succession,
treated - for the moment - as the only god or avatar of the Godhead

henotheism - belief & adoption of a particular god, while allowing that other
gods exist - usually within a polytheistic belief system (i.e. some major
popular forms of Hinduism)

animism/animotheism/zootheism - the belief that all appearances - esp'ly
living/sentient appearances - are animated by spirits (usually animal-like)
OR made vital by a supernatural power, an "Anima" (Latin for "Spirit")
    "If oxen, lions and horses had hands with which to make images, they
would fashion gods after their own shapes and give them bodies like their
own." ~ Xenophanes

therianthropotheism - belief & worship of gods represented in combined human
and animal forms (i.e. Ancient Egyptian religion)

Panentheists and pantheists share the view that the universe and every
natural thing in it is pervaded by divinity:

pantheism (from _pan_ "all" + theism)- Pantheists believe that the universe
itself is divine. They do not believe in personal or creator gods; they
believe that the Godhead exists in everything - that that the godhead & the
world are essentially identical; the divine is "world-inclusive," totally
immanent (*)

    ^  * immanence - the presence and/or actions of god/gods in the world,
usually with a distinction between the presence and the actions. At one
extreme, the total transcendence of the Godhead has no relation to Creation.
At the other extreme, Creation is a mode of Godhead's self-manifestation, and
thus is the 'body' of the Godhead. Most theistic religions allow varying
degrees of immanence between these extremes.

- another crucial difference of all these different “godhead-views”:

    DUALISM/PLURALISM - the conjunction of two (usually opposing) entities or
principles.  [a.] (philosophy) belief & theory that in any domain of reality
there are two independent underlying principles, e.g. mind & matter, form &
content, etc.  [b.] (theology, usually monotheistic) the belief & theory that
unchanging forces of good and evil are - more or less - equally balanced in
the universe.
    But change and flux are facts of life throughout the divine cosmos. So
are the risks on earth of human destructiveness, disease, accident, collision
with meteorites and so on. It is true that these attributes of the universe
and nature are not compatible with pre-conceived ideas about God as an
unchanging, perfect, loving being. But pantheism does not believe in such a
God, and accepts the universe as it is - wonderful, mysterious, creative,
exuberant, joyful, and yet also at times chaotic and destructive. Evil and
pain exist for theists too, and they are extremely difficult to reconcile
with the idea of an omnipotent, yet loving God. Christian apologetics have
still not come up with any satisfactory explanation of why God should have
created them.
    NON-DUALISM/MONISM - belief & theory that everything in existence, in the
Cosmos, is a holistic unity & that perceptions or ideas of difference &
division are “illusionary.” (Concepts of “good” & “evil” are situational &
less clear-cut than in dualistic systems of belief: “One man’s meat is
another’s poison.”... “The road to hell is paved with good intentions.”)

panentheism (pan-en-theos means "all-in-God" - that is, the universe is
contained within God or the Godhead) -
    belief in all gods & all gods being merely finite aspects of the infinite
Godhead (thus all statements & views of the Godhead are - in a sense - both
true AND false, that the multi-personal-itied, multi-versal Godhead is many
things to many people); belief that the Godhead exists in everything AND
transcends everything, that the Godhead is both totally immanent AND totally
transcendent - both world-inclusive AND world-transcending.
    The Godhead is "dipolar" - encompassing such contraries as absoluteness &
relativity, one & many, being & non-being, necessity & contingency, eternity
& temporality, destruction & creation, positive & negative, male & female,
divine & profane, impersonal & personal, etc. ad infinitum googolplex plus
plus ... the Godhead is perfect being, not unchanging, but capable of being
excelled by nothing other than the GodheadSelf: change, not permanence, is
the fundamental nature of both the Godhead and reality. In another words,
both changeless and changing perfection.
    “Panentheists believe in a Godhead that is present in everything but also
extends beyond the universe. In other words, the Godhead is greater than the
universe. Unlike pantheism, however, it does not say that the universe is
identical to God; it maintains that there is more to God than just the
universe. Panentheism says that all is in God, somewhat as if God were the
ocean and we were fish. If one considers what is in God's body to be part of
God, then we can say that God is all there is and then some. The universe is
God's body, but God's awareness or personality is greater than the sum of all
the parts of the universe. All the parts have some degree of freedom in
co-creating with God.... [To put it simply, both God and the cosmos are
interdependent “entities” of creativity.]
    “... Panentheism gives all that one could want: an all-encompassing,
growing, perfect God, everywhere present and containing everywhere within
himself; and the reality of oneself and others, freely deciding within God,
responding to God's overtures in the process of co-creation. Theism denies
that the world (including us) shares in God's being. Panentheism recognizes
that everything shares God's being (or becoming) but that God's being
operates from innumerable relatively freely-choosing centers or perspectives
of existence. God and the world, which is God's body, are interdependent. To
be is to be free, to be choosing, and to be enjoying (slightly or greatly,
positively or negatively) the process of selecting from among competing
influences. To be doing this is to be alive. To be doing it with the
complexity of performing these tasks self-consciously, rationally,
purposefully is to be doing it as a person. To have perfect awareness of all
this, perfect memory, love, and preservation of it, and to be giving perfect
guidance to the others who are involved in the process is to be the only
perfect person, God.”

    "...divine chaos ...rumors of chaos have been known to enhance the mature
religious vision.... for the godhead manifests no more of its reality than
the limited grammar of each person's imagination and conceptual system can
handle. A second advantage is suggested by William James in _Varieties of
Religious Experience_. James affirms the possibilty of many gods, mostly
because he takes seriously his multiverse theory of personal monads, each one
of us experiencing a unique religious revelation. An orderly monistic and
monotheistic system, he fears, might succumb to a craving for logical
coherence, and trim away some of the mystery, rich indeterminancy, and tragic
ambiguity in a complete numinous experience. For some temperaments, the
ambivalent gentleness and savagery of fate can be imagined effectively in a
godhead split into personified attributes, sometimes at war, sometimes in
shifting alliance." ~ Vernon Ruland, _Eight Sacred Horizons: The Religious
Imagination East and West_

In a message dated 09/12/2002 08.30.56 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>At 14:43 2002-09-12 -0700, Padraic Brown wrote:
>
>>In general, I'd agree (mostly cos I'm not aware of a
>>better alternative); but "theism" is fairly specific.
>>It's fine, so long as your mythic beings are Gods.
>>Shift over into angels or jinns or any other sort of
>>nondeific power, and all of a sudden you're not really
>>"theistic" any more.
>
>Point taken!  What about "numinism" -- check out _numen_ in a Latin
>dictionary.  There ought to be a Greek equivalent (other than
>_theos_)...  Where is Ray, I wonder?

    I don't know where Ray is... but I am finding myself personally rather
fond of the Sanskrit word _Ram_ for the "Godhead MultiPersonality." It's
short and sweet and mnemomically linkable to RAM (Random Access Memory ;) ---
ok, no jokes about needin' more Ram in one's life...

€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€€º°`°º€ø,¸~->

Hanuman Zhang
Avatar of Sun WuKong, a.k.a "Monkey", a.k.a. "the Monkey King,"
a.k.a. "TricksterGod of the Glorious Anti-Imperialist Chinese Boxers"

    =>  om hung hanumatay rudratmakai hung phat  <=
    mantra to Hanuman the Hindu Monkey TricksterGod

    "In the beginning was noise - raw sound, the seed sound, the One, _Nada
Brahma_, the Big Bang. And noise begat rhythm. And rhythm begat everything
else. And thus the Dance began. Rhythm and noise. There is terror in noise,
and in that terror there is also power." - adapted from writings by Mickey
Hart

NADA BRAHMA - sound is the Godhead/sound is Cosmic Reality

<=  thee prIs ov X.iztenz iz aetern'l warfaer 'N' kreativ playf'llnizz...  =>