CONLANG  October 2002, Week 3

CONLANG October 2002, Week 3

Re: punctuated abbreviations // was english spelling reform

Tim May <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Oct 2002 04:12:47 +0100

Padraic Brown writes:
 > --- Tim May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
 >
 > > What do you mean, turn it around on them?  That's
 > > part of its intended use.
 >
 > I use /mIz/ for everyone. [Unless I know that the
 > person in question uses Ms for PC reasons. Then she
 > gets a Mrs. in writing, or a clear /mIsEs/ in speech.]

Why?  Deliberately disregarding someones chosen mode of address - in
such a way as to violate the consistancy of you own behaviour -
strikes me as singularly discourteous.

 > It has nothing to do with the "intended use", but with
 > a convergence of /mIz/, /mIsz/ and /mIs/ all of which
 > are very close and easy to level in rapid speech.

This, on the other hand, is perfectly reasonable.