CONLANG  October 2002, Week 3

CONLANG October 2002, Week 3

Re: OT (very): DSL....carp and cavil

Robert B Wilson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:33:07 -0400

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:31:46 +0100 michael poxon <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> You could try and up your modem rate/packet size by modifying
> settings in
> the windows registry. I've done it and my modem now works
> (theoretically) at
> rates of 400kb/s, though in the real world I've noticed little
> difference
> other than when FTP-ing. Still, it's good to know that if it ever
> gets the
> chance to talk at that speed, it can!

you can also get a 56K modem to connect at 115,200.  it really freaked me
out when i went to check my e-mail and the thing said "Connected at
115,200".  just go into control panel/modems, click on properties and
change the Maximum speed to 115,200.  according to windows, this is just
the speed windows uses to communicate with the modem, but apparently the
modem can connect at 115,200...

hmm... i can't do anything with the registry right now because registry
editor keeps crashing (blue screen of death...)
if i had source code i might be able to fix the stupid thing (that's one
of the many reasons why i'm getting linux on my computer...)

> Mike

Robert Wilson (Elentirno Pereldar) (mailto:[log in to unmask])
I yessess Eru ontan Menel ar Cemen.
I yessess a Quetta ar Quetta n as Eru ar Eru n Quetta.
"Ananwa," eque erye, "i ilv n carm Eruva. Ily nati nar tanwi
Erullo."