CONLANG  October 2002, Week 3

CONLANG October 2002, Week 3

Re: Rejected posting to [log in to unmask]

Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 17 Oct 2002 18:32:36 +0000

LISTSERV claimed I tried to send this message in duplicate, and therefore
blocked, but I have no reason to think I did, so for safety's sake I'm
sending it again ...
___________________________________

Let's try Tairezazh ...

>1) I shall kill you like [I would kill] a dog.

Ta staksest shas slel vauf.

>2) I shall kill you like a dog [would kill you].

Ta staksest slel vauf shas.

These two aren't disambiguous, but the first syntax suggests that the
killing is doglike, the second that the killee is somehow doglike. If you
want to be entirely clear, you'll have to supply extra info, like Christian
did within brackets above.

>3) I prefer grandma-style bread.  (Since we have minors on the list,
>    I decided to leave the dog out of this construction. ;-)

Ta tsheneir zaves slel manai manai. (lit: "I most-like bread like mama's
mama's")

I don't understand the bracketed comment ...

>4) She sings loudly.

Sena tÚv tinzh taik.

>5) She sings in a way that makes her ridiculous.

TÚvent senai zol tshof senas. (lit "Her singing makes her
ridiculous/stupid". It could probably be made more literally, but I can't be
bothered to figure out how right now.)

                           Andreas

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access.