CONLANG  October 2002, Week 4

CONLANG October 2002, Week 4

Re: conlang servey (fwd)

Mau Rauszer <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 26 Oct 2002 06:21:20 +0200

Zesefde Mau Rauszer   <[log in to unmask]> ta 2002.10.26. her 06:15:18 +2h:

Heather Rice  <[log in to unmask]> 2002.10.24. 20:16:11 -7h-kor írta:

> Language name,
Long Wer

> creator's name,
Mau Rauser  - Ábrahám Zsófia

> realative date of creation (just any old number will do),
2000

> country and first language of creator,
Hungary, Hungarian

>purpose of conlang
An offshoot of my long, long novel and civilization & artlang

> Phonetics:  number of consonants,
~30

> number of vowels,
10 or if I count 'em differently, 12

> presence of nasalization,
only for some consonants especially stops

> tone and how many,
None :)

> where the accent generally falls.
Well, on the first long syllabe or the second-to last syllabe if there isn't any.

> Morphemes:  presence of allomorphs,
not yet

> assimilation,
in a few cases. Dissimilation is more usual.

> prefixes, suffixes, infixes,
A lot of them. They're the spirit of LW.

> suprafixation, dicontinuation, exclusion, total
> fusion, subtraction, reduplication.
If suprafixation is the way of splitting words and prefix them to another so it is a very usual word forming feature of LW.

> Is the conlang agglutinating, isolating or fusional?
Aggluginating to the end. But sometimes fusional (especially for gender)

> Nouns and such:  subclasses of nouns (common/proper,
> abstract, things that may not be expressed explicitly
> in affixes),
Not really.

> presence of cases and how many and what
> kind,
Eight cases (the indo-european ones: nominative, accusative, genitive, locative, sociative,
dative, ablative and vocative). The cases' meaning can be smoothened by affixes.

> kind of possession (alienable, inalienable, no
> distinction, etc.)
no distinction

> presence of gender, number,
Two natural gender (with a kind of animistical sense)
Three numbers: singular, dual, plural. The dual number is full-featured it is not restricted or so.

> articles,
Only definite 'ta'.

> demostratives,
Two demonstratives for 'this' and 'that', treated as nouns independently, can be aggluginated as a normal noun.
They are often prefixed to the word. Eg.: qembili = qe+mbili "this+thing"

> adjectives,
Full-featured class, not noun-subset, not verb-subset. Has its own aggluginating system.

> quantatives.
Numerals? Well LW have a lot of them. It also has its own aggluginating sytem.
It has affixes to express "xx times", "xxth" etc.

> Are comparatives expressed by affix, word order or both?
Affixes. LW have five degrees of comparative including comparative, superlative, augmentative and diminutive.
( The last two ones are for the ideas of something is lesser or more of a group. )

> Do pronouns express gender, number, declension?
Number and declension always, gender is expressed only in 3rd person.

> Are there indefinite pronouns, possessed pronouns?
Yes.

> Others?
interrogative, relative, general (every, any, no), reflexive.

> Are prepositions bound, unbound?  How many
> prepositons (approximate).
Under 10 (excluding directions).

> Presence of clitics.  Is
> derivational morphology mostly by compounding words or
> by affix or both?
Both. In the past (before the last four thousand years) derivation was more common but for now, compounding
became a bit more important.

> Verbs and such:
> Are person, number, object expressed with the verb?
All of them.

> Are there static verbs (to be)?
Yes. But it is sometimes skippable.

>  Is the object incorporated into the person marker (making a
> phonetically different affix like in the Native
> American languages)?
No.

> Is transitivity marked for
> transitive, intransitive, bitransitive or other?
Transitiveness is marked.

> Is the person inclusive, exclusive, no distiction?
No dist.

> Kind of gender.  Are past, present, future expressed?
Only natural. Yes, all of them.

> Recent, remote?
Historical.

> Is mode express, what kind?
Imperative if it's a mood

> Is voice expressed? What kind?
Passive with a separate affix.

> Manner?  Aspect?  Please list
> what kinds of manner and aspect the conlang expresses
> in its verbs.
Well: there are evidentality (4 degrees: suppose, hearsay, [unmarked], experience),
perfection (for completed actions), continouity, habituality

> Presence of adverbs, pro-drop.
They are but most of they are just derived frm adjectives. there are quite a few adverbs.
Nouns also can be treated as adverbs.

> Can nouns, adjectives, adverbs be changed to verbs and
> vice versa?
Yes but it requires special affiction.

> Presence of adjective, adverbial clauses and relative
> pronouns.
There are adjectives. Relative pronoun family is: taqe.

> Sentences:
> Does the conlang have an ergative or accusative
> system?
Accusative I think.

> Word order and is it free or strict?
Free for poets, strict for the speakers.

> Are adjectives, adverbs and prepositions before or after
> the modified word?
LW is absolutely head-first. Prepositions are before he head but adj, and adv follows head.

> Is the word order changed in a
> question?
no.

> How many (approximately) conjugations are there?
One and only :) Of course there are irregularities.

> Other:
> What is the number base for the numeral system (10?
> 12?)?
Fours but they have basic numbers to 16.

> Presence of idioms, irregular forms of nouns
> and verbs.
There aren't so much idiom yet but the language wil have a lot of them.
Irregularities aren't a major feature of LW but there are some weird forms
(usually remained from my earliest LW forms [Archaic Meyadhew]).

> Is the language syntax very predictable,
> or are there many exceptions?
Syntax is predictable but gives a lot of freedom.

> How much literature has been produced and what kind (I'm not talking about
> translations, but stuff you wrote yourself).
Well. I wrote my diary in an archaic form of LW (now totally redesigned) for a year
and I will continue it. So tis means a lot of literature. And I'm not talking about a series of
cat myths I wrote in LW. Now the number of translations and original LW texts are ~equal
but I hope I soon will have more original texts than translations.

>  Is there a history and dictionary of the conlang?
Because a major redesign of LW in June 2002 I have to invent a brand new vocabulary the
dictionary is not finished yet.

> Script invented?
A script similar to Egyptian hieroglyphs. Elaborate, calligraphic and beautifiul!

>Other conlangs produced by the creator of this one.
Meyadhew (under a major redesign) and some other unnamed animal language sketches.

> If you could summarize your conlang in a sentence,
> what would you write?
The music of Quenya, the expression power of Hungarian, a taste of Egyptian and the Mind of Cat,
my dreams about a beautiful language (which one is often called odd by non-conlangers so I know it
can't fit everybody's taste before anyone can tell me I'm so self-important)

> On my servey, I knew I couldn't possibly cover
> everything that conlangs will be, so I included a long
> notes section.  If you want to provide any other
> information about the conlang, just keep typing!

Note: It is definitely a priori, with a little Middle Egyptian basic vocabulary tormented and some words
from other languages I thought they are beautiful but with no regard of the original meaning.

--
Mau
Ábrahám Zsófia alias Mau Rauszer