AUXLANG November 2002, Week 1

The Six Thousand Languages

James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 1 Nov 2002 11:28:08 +0000

I have just finished reading 'The Power of Babel (A Natural History of
Language)' by the creolist John McWhorter.  I have to say I found it
mainly dull and verbose, and I was not impressed by his specious and
hurried arguments for the creoloid nature of the first language (he
assumes language emerged only once).  For me the best part of the book
was his criticism of the Chomskyan tyranny in linguistics and the harm
it is doing.  Please read the following passage:

"The Task Ahead and Why it Must Be Done

It is therefore urgent that we record as many languages as possible
before they no longer exist so that, even if they are not actively
spoken anymore, we have their essences preserved for posterity for the
benefit of descendents of speakers who want to make contact with their
heritage by learning some of the language; for research; and for sheer
wonder.

It is here that linguists, the people most qualified to carry out this
task, will be crucial, but only if there is a fundamental recasting
of current attitudes in the discipline.  People often suppose that
linguists are either professional polyglots or arbiters of "proper
grammar."  Neither is the case; in fact, precisely what most linguists
are engaged in would surprise many people by virtue of the extremely
specific nature of the enterprise, focused on a particular issue
barely perceptible at all to the layperson.

The linguistics discipline as it is today configured is centered on
identifying through elegant induction the precise structure of our
innate neurological endowment for language, sparked by a paradigm
founded by Noam Chomsky in the late 1950s.  There are many other
branches of linguistics and a great many linguists with no serious
interest in the Chomskyan approach.  However, the paradigm looms over
the field with a sociological "capital" analogous to the domination
of the music composition field decades ago by atonalists despite
their never having been a numerical majority.

One's basic training focuses on the Chomskyan framework, and there is
a tacit but powerful sense in the field that this subarea is not only
the "sexiest", but also the most intellectually substantial.  For
example, there are some departments where students are trained in
nothing but the Chomskyan paradigm, but none where students are
grounded entirely in any other subfield - the other subfields are
ultimately regarded as "other", the icing rather than the cake.
Regardless of the caliber of his work in another subfield, the
linguist who does not display at least token interest in the Chomskyan
endeavor is not considered "a _linguist_ linguist" in the back of the
minds of a great many in the field, and the most general respect is
accorded the linguist in an "icing" subfield who is invested in
showing the implications of his work for the latest developments in
the Chomsky bailiwick. [...]

To be sure, Chomskyan linguistics is a thoroughly fascinating
investigation. [...]  It is not for nothing that the Chomskyan
paradigm took our field by storm to such an extent in the 1960s and
has obsessed so many fine minds since.  Properly, however,
illuminating the possibility that we possess a natural mechanism
calibrated to produce basic sentences is but one of dozens of ways
that one might study the multifarious thing known as human language.
In our moment, as linguist R. M. W. Dixon eloquently calls for in his
book 'The Rise and Fall of Languages', linguists should be trained to
go out and document at least one dying language before it disappears
forever from the earth - I myself will be embarking on such work as
soon as I finish this book."

This passage raises the prospect that linguists may one day look up
from their copy of Syntactic Structures to find that many of the Six
Thousand Languages have disappeared without any detailed recordings of
them having been made.  You can imagine the scene in an (online)
lecture in the year 3000:

Professor: In the year 2000 there were over Six Thousand Languages
spoken on Earth.  Now we have only American.  Unfortunately we have
no record of many of the extinct languages.
Student: But sir, I read that there were thousands of professional
linguists in 2000.  Couldnt each one have gone out and recorded a dying
language?
Professor: In theory, yes.  However, the majority of those linguists
were spellbound by Professor Chomsky's idea of an innate capacity for
language learning, the so-called Universal Grammar.  They had their
noses so firmly buried in the most abstract and arcane details of
American (then called 'English') syntax, that they couldnt see the
wonderful variety of language systems disappearing all around them.
Student: But now direct neurological studies have shown that there is
no such innate capacity, no hard-wired grammar; and besides, that
should really have been obvious even in 2000, since they already knew
how evolution worked and that the growth of the neocortex was very
fast and unsophisticated (which is why Rationality Formula is added to
our milk and cornflakes), so from an evolutionary point of view an
innate language faculty was inexplicable.  So they were wasting their
time anyway, right?
Professor: Yes, you're right.  I can only apologize on their behalf.

Linguistics needs to become more multi-centered, more eclectic and
more open to alternative approaches, new or old.  As it is, linguists
have put all their eggs in the Chomskyan basket, and it will be a
tragedy if that basket turns out to be not the pot of gold they
think it is, but (as is most likely) more like a crock of s**t.

Kordiale, James Chandler