AUXLANG November 2002, Week 1

Re: Chomskyism

Mat McVeagh <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Nov 2002 04:55:33 +0000

>From: James Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
>
>I dont think anyone would maintain that Chomsky is entirely responsible for
>the way his program has come to dominate linguistics almost to the
>exclusion
>of all other subareas and approaches.  The blame must lie with the
>linguistics fraternity as a whole, which has allowed itself to become a
>closed academic society in which only one way of thinking is really
>tolerated (if you want to get on, that is - we all know how these things
>work).
>
>Knowing what I do about the evolution of the human brain, I would put the
>chances of there being an innate specific language faculty of the Chomksy
>sort at about 1 in a million; perhaps even a billion.  The whole
>linguistics
>discipline is therefore geared towards something comparable to the search
>for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Make no mistake:
>linguistics
>since Aspects (1964) has not been primarily about generative grammar,
>devices for producing acceptable sentences.  This is just a means to the
>end
>of elucidating the structure of the Language Aquisition Device.  Thats what
>all those diagrams and parameters are really about - not English syntax but
>neural wiring.
>
>I would advise anyone interested to read Koestler's 'The Ghost in the
>Machine'.  The Papez-Maclean triune brain theory basically says that we
>have
>not one brain but 3 in 1.  The reptilian brain (1) is basically concerned
>with instincts, the mammalian brain (2) is basically concerned with
>emotions, and grafted onto these in a very unsophisticated manner is the
>neocortex (3), the reasoning brain, which sets us apart from other species.
>Unfortunately the expansion of the neocortex was so rapid and explosive
>that
>it appears adequate controls were not established to give the neocortex (or
>'rational brain') appropriate hierarchical control over the lower brains
>(or
>limbic system).  In fact, looking at recent studies of the connections
>between the new and old brains (not available to Koestler), it seems that
>the "controls" evolution was able to furnish amount to a diffuse set of
>"reins" through which the old brain pumps varying amounts of dopamine (the
>powerful brain chemical involved in all addictions, from chocolate to crack
>- and schizophrenia) into the new brain, depending on how it feels (or
>"instincts", to coin a verb).  These reins are called the mesocorticolimbic
>pathway.  There is nothing of the kind of elaborate structure of feedbacks
>and controls you would expect to find in a well evolved organ.  Now, if you
>are telling me that in the course of expansion of the neocortex, nature saw
>fit to encode a complete copy of Syntactic Structures when it couldnt even
> [...]

This is really interesting. The linguistics dept. I was at (Nottingham
University, UK, which has since closed down) did not push Chomsky on us as I
recall. At the end of the third year we were asked to get together to come
up with some suggestions and possible improvements and stuff we wanted to do
next year and one chap who did the course as part of cognitive science said
"How come we have hardly heard about Chomsky? He is supposed to be so
important, surely we should have been taught more about him." There was a
psycholinguistics course, but again I don't remember Chomskyan innateness
theory being pushed on us at all.

Maybe this phenomenon is more American linguistics? Altho I just don't know
of conditions in other British universities.

I agree that no one theory should be allowed to dominate a subject, and I
know what you are talking about with regard to getting a job etc. But I
think I have more sympathy for the view than you do. I think it's probably a
matter of degree rather than yes/no.

What you say about the growth of the brain is very intriguing tho. The
aspect of the human neocortex *suddenly* expanding in size, and this leaving
no time for proper development, has the ring of truth about it. Where
specifically is that documented? In Koestler's book?

Finally... what was that about Chomsky's phonology?

Mat