Thanks once again to everyone who replied to my question.
As most replies were off-list, I thought I would
post the solution I decided upon (at least temporarily).
Here is what I did:
I added the "xml:space" attribute to <text> element
in the DOCTYPE declaration.
<!DOCTYPE TEI.2 SYSTEM 'D:/dtd/myPizza.dtd' [
<!ATTLIST text xml:space (preserve | default) "preserve" >
and in the document itself:
This is probably the least that can be done without damaging
the beauty of pure TEI. The declaration at the top
informs the users of the modification - and there is only
one place where this attribute is applied so removing it is
And it works (which may sometimes matter...).
Obviously, some spaces may now pop-up where they are
really redundant - but applying "xml:space" to all <p>'s
and other elements with mixed content would be too much,