CONLANG  December 2002, Week 5

CONLANG December 2002, Week 5

Re: Synaesthesia

J Y S Czhang <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 02:43:17 EST

In a message dated 2002/12/29 12.37.11 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>Within the past month, I stumbled across a webpage talking about what
>synesthesia was.  I remember thinking that it sounded like a really
>interesting ability but must be rather rare, since I'd never met anyone
>who claimed to feel/see/whatever anything like it.  I must admit that I'm
>horribly jealous of all you synesthetics!  :)

    Synesthetes AFAIK.
    I have a mild form of synaethesia (audio-to-visual) and it has rather
strong links to my ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). Ferinstanz, I do not
drive... it's bad enough that everything on the road can be _so_ freakin'
bloody fascinating (distracting) but a loud frequency could make me a real
danger to others and myself ;)
    Visually it is like the phosphene (sp?) afterimages that you get when you
press on your eyes (gently, don't poke ya eyeballs out...). I get the "colour
swirlies" in the periphery of my vision most of the time... loud sounds
intrude further into the field of vision.
    The colours I tend to notice the most are bright blood reds, day-glow
oranges, cobalt and iridescent blues, shimmering metallic yellows, and
glaring whites. Sometimes emerald, rainforest greens and darkish purples crop
up. My favourite colour to pop up every once and awhile is an opalescent
purplish-blue black, but it tends to intrude on my entire field of vision as
it usually accompanies a very loud, ultra-low E#-F.

    I knew a guitarist in high school who had synaethesia, but his was
sound-to-taste. He had a rather disconcerting habit of drooling when playing
guitar. He liked "earthy coffee tones," "spicy chai notes" and "dark
chocolate velvet sounds" a lot. He compared light modern jazz to "spiked
fruitpunch" and darker, more cerebral jazz to various types of "coffee."
    Kinda brings some insight (pardon the pun) to the ol' jazz slang-phrase:
"what a tasty lick!"

Hanuman Zhang, _Gomi no sensei_ [Master of junk]

€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€ø,¸¸,ø€º°`°º€€º°`°º€ø,¸~->

    "To live is to scrounge, taking what you can in order to survive. So,
since living is     scrounging, the result of our efforts is to amass a pile
of rubbish."
                            - Chuang Tzu/Zhuangzi, China, 4th Century BCE

    "The most beautiful order is a heap of sweepings piled up at random."
                            - Heraclitus, Greece, 5th Century BCE

    Ars imitatur Naturam in sua operatione.
    [Latin > "Art is the imitation of Nature in her manner of operation."]

    " jinsei to iu mono wa, kinchou na geijyutsu to ieru deshou "
    [Japanese > "one can probably say that 'life' is a precious artform"]

    "Art should be something that liberates your soul." - Keith Haring