CONLANG  January 2003, Week 2

CONLANG January 2003, Week 2

Re: Yitzik's catalogue of conlang ideas (was: Reply to Yitzik)

"Isaac A. Penzev" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Jan 2003 21:55:41 +0200

Jan van Steenbergen scripsit:

<<<<<<<<<<
> [E] - an idea, a conlang at Embryonal stage
Does that mean that you just have an idea, but that there is nothing on
paper
yet? I have never made such a list of my own conlangs, let alone considered
making a list of my ideas for conlangs. I certainly have some ideas for
future
projects, perhaps I should list them once.

No. Pure ideas are not mentioned. "Embryonal" means I have scraps of notes
on paper or comp files with rudimental phonology, a list of 10-20 words, 3-4
grammar rules or paradigms. Sometimes it means a note with 15-20 short
sentences with translation (I hate interlinears!)

<<<<<<<<<<
> [N] - a posteriori (Naturalistic)
Well, strictly speaking, an a priori language can be naturlistic as well.
But that was just a little nitpick, of course!

At least you understood what I meant. Sometimes I feel hard to put an idea
into compact English words.

<<<<<<<<<<<
> #01 -[N, A]- Rumiya (Rumean).
[...]
A great language! What else is there to say?

Shukrã! (thanx)

<<<<<<<<<<<<
> #02 -[N, E, D]- an unnamed slaviconlang. The only representative of
> Central Slavic languages: lying between W. and E. with slight admix of S.
This one really made me wake up. No notes at all yet? Have you ever
considered a North Slavic language?

Since it is frozen on the preliminary research stage, it may change...
I'll think over your proposal...

<<<<<<<<<<<<
> #06 -[S, B, D]- an unnamed Caucasoid. Weird experiments with phonology.
> Sample phrases:
[...]
Oh, I remember that one. You posted about it shortly after I joined the
list. I couldn't read those messages, though, due to encoding problems. But
they are
still in my mailbox, and on this (new) computer, I might give it a try.

You can have a look. But without knowing spelling conventions it still won't
help much <evil grin>. Unf, I'm not sure about all that schmampa stuff
above. One of the ideas is that the lang has *two* sets of dental
consonants: one is pure dental, the other is (post)alveolar. But in
fricative row you have not /T/ vs. /s/ or /S/, but *two* types of /s/ and
*two* types of /S/! Afaik, the Soviet linguistic school speaks about "double
articulation" in such cases...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> #07 -[N, M, D]- Eğelenglisc. Old English survived (with certain changes)
> till nowadays free of French influence. A purely Germanic English with
> Icelandic as a prototype!
May I invite you to elaborate on this language on Germaniconlang? (not only
because the group seriously needs some input, but also because AFAIR you
never posted anything "substantial" about it.

I promise to do it one day, but not very soon: a new semester starts on
Monday! And remember: it's very very raw!

<<<<<<<<<<<<
That reminds me: yesterday a strange thought occurred to me. I know about
several conlangs that attempt to strip English from its Latin and French
influences. But has anyone ever tried to do the reverse? To make English
into a romlang?

Not my cup of tea.

<<<<<<<<<<<<
> #09 -[N, E, D]- Do you remember annoyant Mr.Zhong?
> This is an anti-Zhongist jokelang!
[...]
Not a bad idea for a pidgin!

He he he.

<<<<<<<<<<<<
> #12 -[N, E, D]- an unnamed attempt to design one more IE conlang out of
> traditional groups, close to Germanic-Baltic-Slavic triangle with certain
> Italo-Greek parallels.
Well, add Tocharian to the triangle and you have quite a good idea what
Hattic is about. I hope this language will ever outgrow the embryonal stage.

If I had had better sources on PIE, it would have grown faster...

<<<<<<<<<<<<
> #17 -[N, E, D]- Russian Pidgin inspired by Kyakhta
Well, the Kyakhta you posted earlier was amazing! But N, E, D? I thought you
had elaborated it more!

It needs just a couple of days free of any other occupations (as any other
project, inter aliam)

<<<Is there a difference between merging and consuming?>>>

Yes, there is. The former means the components come on equal terms, the
latter means that one is taken as basic, and the others just do some
contribution.

<<<<<<<<<<<
Why not merge #20 and #21? That's what I would probably do. But then, I now
very very little about Altaic languages. How different is Proto-Turkish from
Proto-Altaic?

Very different.

<<<<<<<<<<<<
> #22 -[N, E, G]- an unnamed project with Siberian flavor. Starting point is
> a Proto-Tungus Swadesh List, and nobody knows what shall be mixed to it.
> Ugric? Korean? Suggestions are welcomed.
One of (my) premises in IB's Russia, is that Siberia was colonized to a far
lesser extent than *here*. As a direct result of this, the indigeneous
languages of Siberia are in a far better state.
Perhaps it is the word "Siberia" that cought my attention too much, but I
would certainly not forget about Ket, Nivkh, Yukagir, etc.

Constructed worlds do not attract much of my attention, but if it can help
to the respectful community... Unf, the resources about Siberian languages
are so scarse...

<<<<<<<<<<<<
> - a private language Sanggari Falar, designed together with my wife Elena
> in 1993 and completely lost in computer crash. Till now I remember
> only a few phrases like "Me aymari ten" (I love you) and "Usmá bil
> san hao" (Everything's gonna be all right);
You had a computer back in 1993? That is quite remarkable! When I was in
Ukraine in 1992, 1994 and 1995 I got the impression that they were a real
rarity!

Yes, they were rare. Yes, we had one, if you can call a monster like
"Poisk-1" a computer. CGA monitor, 5 1/2" floppy drive formatted at 720 kB,
no hard disk, operates under DOS booted from a floppy, operative memory 512
kB...

<<<<<<<<<<<<
It's a shame that you lost this language. The name is beautiful. "Me aymari
ten" makes me think of a romlang, but the second sentence looks rather
Asiatic.

It was not styled in any particular way, but designed to be nice, easy, and
incomprehensible for students of Liguistic Department. I need to have a look
through my papers stored in a bix box; there may be some outprints there.
I'm really sorry for this lost. It was quite a usable lang, with all
necessary basic grammar and a vocabulary of about 300 words!

<<<An impressive list! I stored it on my computer "for further reference">>>

:-)) so did I :-))
And I have not yet found my favourite one...

> Jan

Yitzik