AUXLANG January 2003, Week 3

Re: The wrong question

Kjell Rehnstrom <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:17:27 +0100

James Chandler wrote:

> Kjell:
>
> >We will use the languages we need. If my grand-children won't need Swedish
> >anymore they will speak English.
>
> I find the nonchalance with which you say this quite chilling.  What you say
> may well turn out to be true; but does it not upset you in the slightest
> that Swedish, your own native tongue and that of your fellow-countrymen,
> could be deserted in this way by future generations?  Is Swedish really that
> much of a disposable commodity?  I know for certain that I would certainly
> shed at least a tear or two if I thought that English was in such imminent
> danger of abandonment.

I hear a presentation of the Saami (Lapponian, Lappis) language on the radio.
It is a young girl who speaks about Saami (in English, and a very good kind of
English at that), afterwards she is also interviewed on the national radio in
Swedish, and her Swedish is also inpeccable, perfect.

Journalists find papers that a minister has forgotten somewhere. It is an
inquiry that he has ordered from some international consultants. It tells about
rationalizing administration in his ministery. And this inquiry is written in
(you are quit right, _English_).

Theses are generally written in English. Only in very "Swedish" subjects they
still use Swedish, but if a thesis is to be read it has to be written in
English, at least this is what universities think.

I talked about the possibility to use Interlingua in scientific works to a
linguist here at Uppsala University a couple of years ago, and he told me that
English _is_ de facto _the_ international language in science. That many
linguists will understand Interlingua doesn't change that fact.

In the latest issue of the Scandinavian "Actualitates", an information leaflet
that we send to interested persons in the Scandinavian countries, an Euro MP
was quoted as saying: "I cannot imagine that all the MP in the Europarlament
could learn to speak a language like Esperanto or Interlingua, but I can well
imagine that they could serve as intermediary languages" (! KjR).

What interpreters in the EU nowadays do is that they translate from several
languages into their mother tongue. All interpreters should only translate into
their mothertongue. The truth is that there is noone who can interpret from
Irish into Swedish, so they will have to use English.

It is the right of every and all politicians to be able to use their
mothertongue, so interpreters will be necessary.

When the proponents of international languages point at the high costs, they
seam not to consider the fact that this are translations that you would have to
do anyway.

And every country has competence to work to and from English. This is not my
problem. They have already solved it. And if someone doesn't feel at home in
English, that politician should hire an interpreter.

The trouble is, when one is discussing these matters, is that it is easy to mix
what one personally would prefer with what is happening out there in reality.

The Esperantists have spoken on behalf of lesser used languages in their Prague
Manifesto. I mean this is rediculous! During my active years in Esperantoland I
heard people accusing others of being "Crocs", i.e. speaking another language
than Esperanto. I wonder what support we speakers of small languages would get
in an Esperanto-dominated Europe.

Sometimes I have a feeling that people talke about introducing an International
Auxiliary Language is somewhat like standing on one's head ahd waggin one's
ears at the same time, like carrying coal to Newcastle, if you see my drift.

I see in my own family (gens): one nefew is in Croatia, one child in Spain,
another in the Netherlands, there are friends and relatives in Poland. The
common language of all these people is _English_. Perhaps not the Queen's
English, not even her buttler's English, but it works.

"Oh if we had some kind of Esperanto that we all could talk!" But has someone
sat down on their behinds and learnt it. Nope! Not even Interlingua, for that
matter. I have obviously been weak at arguing my point :-(

The other day I read an article about the Irish in the Republic of Ireland. And
I was comparing it with Finland.

In Finland up to the Russian takeover in 1809 the whole administration was
Swedish. People had Swedish names etc. but intellectuals began to work to make
the language that significant parts of the population really was speaking
colloquailly.

I a biography about Johan Ludvig Runeberg (who among other things wrote the
Finnish National Anthem (in Swedish, he can be compared to Poland's Adam
Mickiewicz in a sense), - quoting from memory - His wife and some lady
acquaintances used to gather every tuesday afternoon to speak Finnish. "We have
a maid who comes from a Finnish-speaking village and she knows a lot of Finnish
words that we can learn".

And from that very conscious work we have in these days a situation where
Finnish is used by some 92 % of the population. According to figures that I
have seen Swedish is spoken by 8 or 6 %. And there is a law guaranteeing the
equal rights of Finnish and Swedish, but you _have to know_ Finnish if you want
to live there!

Teachers in schools tear their hair when they hear how their pupils are
speking, a terrible mix of Finnish and Swedish.

My Finnish students told me that most were not very motivated at learning
Swedish (wich is compulsory) in school. Many preferred to have more English
instead. When in Finland I have often spoken English as that has appeared to be
our best language of communication. Should I have inssisted on speaking Swedish
(as it is an endagered language in Finland?)

Politicians had a wonderful opportunity to make Scandinavia a comon linguistic
region, but I fear they are missing that train as well! English is more and
more becomming the language in the Scandinavian discourse!

This tremendously strong language and culture is what we are up against if we
want to promote an international auxiliary language.

You have to know your enemy! ;-)

Kjell R