CONLANG  January 2003, Week 3

CONLANG January 2003, Week 3

Re: New Survey: Celtic conlangs (and other lunatic pursuits) (fwd)

Mau Rauszer <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:18:09 +0100

Mau Rauszer   <[log in to unmask]> 2003.01.14. 07:35:43 +1h-kor rta:

Sally Caves   <[log in to unmask]> 2003.01.13. 07:19:49 +1h-kor rta:

> PART I.  FOR CELTIC CONLANGERS:

Not applicable. My Meyadhew received some features present in the Celtic langs but
it is coincidental or rather came from Sindarin.

> PART II:  INSPIRATION BY TOLKIEN (tangential to the questions on inspiration
> by Celtic languages):
>
> How many of you were inspired to invent a language because of your exposure
> to Tolkien?
Tolkien was a great inspiration for creating a beautiful language like LW is to me but
I did not started conlanging because of Tolkien did it too. I started to create languages
one or two months before I started to read the LotR and first it did not really inspired me.

> How many of you based your conlang on one of Tolkien's languages, or your
> conculture in Middle Earth?
No, except that i plan an Avarin Elven tribe with Long Wer as a language for one of
my TolkoFics.

> How many of you have a constructed world, and, if so, does it include some
> of the races we associate with Celtic or Scandinavian mythology? (Elves,
> Dwarves, medieval societies of humans, Faeries or Fays?  Selkies?  Wizards?)
No. My constructed world is in our Earth and it is the culture of Animals.

> How many of you were inspired to examine Welsh, Hebrew, or Finnish because
> of your examination of Tolkien?
I examined Finnish but because of it's related to my L1.

> How many of you were inspired to invent a conlang or a conculture because of
> some influence OTHER than Tolkien?
My mind was the first influence, then came Tokien but in a late period.

> How many of you are members of the Mythopoeic Society, or the Society for
> Creative Anachronism, or other High Fantasy Groups?
Just a member of the Hungarian Tolkien Society, anything else.

> PART III:  NON-CELTIC CONLANGERS:
>
> In the discussions I've witnessed on Conlang in almost five years, I've
> observed that many conlangers have deliberately avoided "Tolkienesque"
> languages, and even Indo-European languages as models for conlangs, and
> especially the "Celtic."  Why?  Boring?  Overdone?  Trite?  Too pretty?
> Too Western?  Or none of the above--just more interested in something else?
> <G>  I don't want to give the impression that I think we conlang only
> because of Tolkien, and that anything we invent has to be INSPIRED BY or a
> DEPARTURE from the "Great One"; but in this question I'm eager to see some
> eschewal of or at least indifference towards the Tolkien, the "Celtic,"
> and/or even the Indo-European model.
>
> What is your name and what do you call your conlang?
brahm Zsfia (Sophia Abraham, anglicized) and my two ones are
Long Wer and Meyadhew.

> So what is unappealing about the Indo-European model for conlanging?  Or
> Tolkien's Elvish?
It is overdone a bit. And though it is a pretty language my taste differs somewhat.
I don't really like a posteriori conlanging. I always want to do my own.

> How did you start conlanging?  What was your initial inspiration?
Cats... and my conculture .)

> Did you know about Tolkien's inventions?  Read the books, the appendices?
> etc.  Or not?
Right before I started conlanging. But firt it took me a lot to
read the LotR and thus it did not impressed me deeply.

> What language types have you modeled your language(s) after?
Long Wer: Egyptian basic vocabulary, Indo-european case system, Hungarian agglutinating,
 some Bantu words and Quenya music :) It is somewhat regular but still elaborated.
Meyadhew: Bantu noun system and basic vocabulary and feeling. Veery foreign-sounding and looking.

> What features of these languages or language types appeal to you?
See above.

> Some of you, and I'm thinking in particular of a conversation I had with And
> Rosta, are not interested in producing a language that is
>  "mellifluous"--that "mellifluousness" is a thing to be avoided in your
> conlang and especially as it is associated with Tolkien's Elvish or copiers
> of Elvish.   Is this so?  Why?
No! Even Q inspired me to make my LW something musical and fair... because
I redone all my Long Wer right before I came to this list.

> For how many of you, though, is beauty and/or efficiency a factor in your
> language?  Or elegance?  How would you define these terms?
In LW it is a great factor. In Mey., too but in another way.

> For how many of you is the "exotic" a desired feature of your invented
> language?
For Long wer I thought it was but now I reserve it for being just beautiful
and relatively western.

> How many of you invent a non-human language?  And if so, how alien are its
> sounds and constructions?
None of my langs are for humans, I invented my laguages
for various mammal races, Meyadhew is for all carnivores and LW for felines.

> Do you prefer inventing an a posteriori language or an a priori language?
> In other words, how many of you invent a language wherein you base it
> closely on a natural language (Arabic, Tagalog) or a combination of
> languages, and how many others of you invent a language from, well, scratch?
> (if that can be done.)
I just adopt some grammatical fetures, a few well-sounding words and the
general sounding of the lang from the ones that inspire me. I have not yet made
a real a posteriori conlang and i don't plan to do this.

> How many of you invent a language based on a particular type (Ergative,
> Accusative, Trigger, etc.)?
LW is accusative, Mey. is also accusative but in fact unmarked.

> To what degree is difficulty and irregularity of language important to you
> in your conlang?  what natural language eccentricities (or efficiencies) do
> you like and try to reproduce?
I want my langs to be like a natlang with all their irregularities and difficulties.

> To what degree is accessibility, efficiency, and regularity important to
> your conlang?  What natural language "faults" are you correcting?
I don't want to correct any, I want to produce some new types of "faults".

> How many of you invent logical languages?
I definitely not.

> How many of you invent IALs?
What?
> How many of you have invented non-Tolkienesque or non European concultures
> and what are they like?
Hyew, if a non-human culture counts surely I do.

> How many of you started out by pulling words out of the air, originally?
> How many of you have chosen a more methodic form of vocabulary building?
> I.e., how have you gone about setting up the framework for your words and
> your grammar?
> (I started out pulling words out of the air.)
I started out pulling out from the air but now I have a more natual way:
I use both the derivation and compounding from earlier stem words and
the 'from-the-air' method.

> PART IV:  THE LUNATIC SURVEY REVISITED (because we are all "fous du
> langage," according to Yaguello and other French critics.
>
> Why do you conlang?  Who will speak it?  Read it?  What's the point?  What's
> the beauty?  what's the intellectual draw?
Ohh... it is a very important part of my animal con-culture.

> To what would you compare a conlang?  Is it a miniature?  Is it a model?  Is
> it a tapestry?  Is it an act of obsession and madness? <G>  Or is it a
> communicable language?
It can be a communicable language and i hope mine will be once.
For me, it is a play of the sharp mind and clear taste. Some of them are
just a model/miniature. It just depends on how obsessed are you :)

> If it is a communicable language, to whom do you speak it?
I will speak it to the one who want to learn it. For example,
one of my friends from school, my grandfather, my adopted cousin
and a huge Tolkien-fan from the web.

And I just read my writings to everyone who is ready to listen to me.

> To what extent is the opacity or "alterity" of your language something that
> pleases you?  In other words, the sounds and the script have, even for you,
> a quality of being foreign, and this delights.
> Comment?  (I know that when I make maps of cities, and imagine myself in
> them, they delight me because they are both familiar and foreign at the same
> time.)
Yes! Of course! Qey alya  noye! How wonderful is, when I create something new
which is full of me but still enjoyable by others.

> This is a difficult question:  how is it that a word sounds "right" to you?
> We recently discussed this.  To what extent are you finding righter, better
> words for the world in your conlang?  (Perhaps unanswerable).
Because it fits my taste better? My thoughts and reasons? yeah, unanswerable.

> How many of you are fictive map-makers, designers of fictive floor plans,
> fictive yachts, fictive star-ships, world-builders, calligraphers,
> cartoonists, etc.?  (These pursuits have been associated with conlanging.  I
> 've done most of them.)
Some of 'em. Especially calligraphy and cartoons I love to make.

> How many of you have a special script in your conlang?
I have one, very similar to egyptian hieroglyphs.

> If you use Roman script, how recognizably "phonetic" is your writing system?
> In other words, do you use unconventional letters to represent sounds?
> Why?
Only one odd transliteration sign is used: q for /k/ just because I found it fair.

> This is a question Heather asked, but I also asked it four years ago:  how
> many of you write in your language?  What do you write?
Oh I wrote lots of poems and even prose texts too. I am currently working on the
feline creation myth.

> How many of you sing in your language and have invented songs for that
> purpose?
I only translated some of my favourite songs to LW (I just finished Endless Night
from the Lion King on Broadway). But no matter I will write some in the future.

> How many of you started conlanging when you were a teenager and have stuck
> to the same language over many years?   Why?
I am a teenager, still, and I stick to my lang LW for more than 2 years, though
recently I hav planned some other langs too.

> How many of you change conlangs regularly, developing structures for many
> languages but not sticking with any one for very long?  Why?

> For how many of you does your language function as a spiritual instrument?
> This is a deeply personal question--let me give you an example.  When I
> first started inventing "Tayonian" in my early teens, what I wrote were
> spells and prayers.  They had a talismanic quality.  Does that ring a bell
> for anybody?
Mine started in another way, though the reason i invented was to write down the
Qayaquala, a sacred book of Cats, but it was only a part of my con-culture.

> For how many of you was your language at least at one stage of its making
> meant to fool others, or to write secret diaries? (Me, waving my hand).
The other thing I wrote in my earliest LW was my diary -- in hieroglyphs!

> How many of you can speak your language, at least to yourself and your pet?
> child?  spouse?  <G>  To what extent?
Oh, surely I can. The grammar of LW is pretty much in my head. Meyadhew is still a
child, th grammar is not finished and there are far not eough words.
I speak in LW when I am really happy or mad and don't want to
let anybody to know how I feel but I want to say.

http://www.longwer.tk

> How many of you have made soundbytes of your language so the rest of us can
> hear it?  If so, give the site.
The same site, but the sounds aren't up yet.

> How many of you are comfortable talking to your boss, your professors, your
> family members about this pursuit?   How many of you have received
> condescending or other negative responses to your disclosure?  (I have.)  Or
> even been called "pathological"?
I received both answers. But mostly good critics, especially when I showed them
some of my LW poems and so. But my friends mostly can't understand.
But I hope they will admit it once...

> If this attitude is changing, to what do you attribute the change?  (On New
> Year's Eve, a delightful, elderly gentleman could not understand why I would
> be interested in this pursuit.  What purpose could it serve?)
>
> For how many of you is the damning statement "better to learn real languages
> than invent private ones" a criticism you have encountered?  What would be
> your response to such a remark?
Well when i met this question i said "I understand better the language if I live directly in it.
And I found thingsin every language I heard which I did not like. And in my own lang,
everything is as I want, thus it is the mpost capable of all others to
express my most personal thoughts."

> PART V:  GENERAL DEMOGRAPHICS:
>
> What is your age (optional--and can be general: 30-40, for instance).
15

> What is your profession or your station in life (i.e., if you are a student,
> what is your MAJOR; if a middle or high-school student, what is your
> intended major)?
well I am a high-school student and I want to learn egyptology and
linguistics.

> What is your gender?
female

> What is your nationality and your native language?
both Hungarian

> What natural languages do you speak or have studied?
French, English, German, Latin and Middle Egyptian (I currently study all of them)

> How many of you have chosen a profession in linguistics because of your
> interest in inventing languages?  Or plan a profession in linguistics?
See above

> What have you learned from conlanging?
Should I list...?

> What texts on language and linguistics have you consulted to help invent
> your language?
--- first nothing except some ME books

> Do you know of anyone who has not connected with the Internet or the List
> who has invented a language? (I'm firmly convinced that "conlanging" has
> been a private pursuit for many people long before the list started, but
> that the list has increased its visibility as an art).
Yes, one who made it for a RPG game.

> Can you give me a short sample of your language with interlinear description
> and translation?
{this one is very popular, and i think there are a very few people out there
who don't know the original :) Ta.. daaa.... the Ring Poem in Long Wer.
Meyadhew has a very little vocabulary so I won't write in it now}

Eldaweresse sehem wu ruyau
Yew ta Nauqqe silah perudit
Antaya Menq we userte gea
Rya wa Neb Duaq angewiant'
Lanzid e-Mordor u datu rd.
Heqaenweq a, gemenweq a
Gwienweq a qi umbandi dad.
Lanzid e-Mordor u datu rd.

Elda.wer.e.sse sehem wu ruya.u
Elf.great.ATT.SOC mighty 3 ring.PL
(there is) with the Great Elves, three powerful ring

Yew ta Nauq.q.e sil.ah per.u.d.it
7 the Dwarf.DAT.ATT shine.AP house.PL.LOC.in
For the Dwarves in shiny places, seven.

Antaya Men.q we user.t.e gea
Mortal Men.DAT be.IMP powerful.NOUN.ATT 9
Be nine powerful ones for the Mortal Man

Rya wa Neb Dua.q angewiant' (full form: angewiante)
ring 1 Lord Dark.DAT cunning-to-death
One Ring for the Dark Lord who's cunning to his death

Lanzi.d e-Mordor u dat.u r.d.
Land.LOC ATT.Mordor be.3pl shadow.PL day(time).LOC
In the land of Mordor (where) there're shadows in the daytime

Heqa.e.nwe.q a, gem.e.nwe.q a
rule.INF.3sACC.DAT One, find.INF.3sACC.DAT One
For rule them, One, for find them, One

Gwi.e.nwe.q a qi umbandi da.d.
grasp.INF.3sACC.DAT One and close-into-jail shadow.LOC
For grasp them and bind them in the shadow, One.

Lanzid e-Mordor u datu rd.
Land.LOC ATT.Mordor be.3pl shadow.PL day(time).LOC
In the land of Mordor (where) there're shadows in the daytime

> Would you object to my mentioning your conlang/and or your name in my talk?
> I will be discreet about some of the more personal questions you answered.
Just mention me, anytime you want, I am always pleased when somebody
talks about my languages :)

-- Mau Rauser, ta-mau, sehem netyeru.
" ta walah mena, enge nmannaire ta inp."
Good is the teacher if the young one remembers.