CONLANG  March 2003, Week 1

CONLANG March 2003, Week 1

Re: Paxba-Sazena Lexicon in developement

Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:48:34 +0100

En rÚponse Ó Delirious <[log in to unmask]>:

Hi! Since I never saw your address here before, I suppose you're new here.
Welcome then.

> GENERAL OUTLINE
>
> The Pax are one of the major ethnic groups among the
> elves. Paxba-Sazena is the most spoken language in Elfin space, and
> is tied with English for most spoken in intergalactic circles.

Looks like you're mixing Fantasy names with Sci-Fi here :) . I'd like to know
more about the background. What's the conculture like? What are those elves?
Aliens?

> Transliteration is based on the International Phonetic Alphabet; read
> about that here:
> http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/ipa-english-uni.htm

Well, you must really be a newbie, because if you had read our discussions for
the last few days (especially about C-IPA), you'd know that we all know what
the IPA is :)) .

> I used the KPA variant:
> http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/kpa.html

Well, despite the fact that Herman is a distinguished member of our community,
KPA is not the common ASCII-IPA transliteration used here. We mostly use X-
SAMPA or a slightly modified version of it (see
http://www.cs.brown.edu/~dpb/ascii-ipa.html and especially
http://www.i-foo.com/~kturtle/misc/xsamchart.gif for a chart of IPA with X-
SAMPA equivalents. And by the way, check http://www.conlanglinks.tk/. We always
provide this one to newbies as it contains links to everything any conlanger
may need :)) ). Using anything else brings the risk of not being understood or
not read at all.

> TRANSLITERATION LETTERS, SOUNDS, AND PRONUNCIATION SYMBOLS
>
> CONSONANTS (C)
> WHEN         PRONOUNCE IT                       KPA
> YOU SEE      LIKE THE BRACKETS          Symbol
> b            (b)in                      b
> d            (d)en                      d
> g            (g)et                      g
> k            lo(ch)                     x
> m            (m)ice                     m
> n            (n)ice                     n
> r            trilled r as in Italian    rZ
>              and spanish

Well, I don't know what you think is an Italian or Spanish trill, but it's
certainly *not* [rZ]. In KPA, the alveolar trill (the Spanish or Italian one
thus) is simply [r] (note: [] marks phonetic transcription, i.e. actual sounds).

> rh           (r)obot                    r

If you mean the 'r' in English 'robot', than it's [r*] in KPA (alveolar
approximant). As I said, [r] is already the trill. You should go to this site:
http://www.ling.hf.ntnu.no/ipa/full/ and listen to the sound samples to decide
which sound you mean, and then find out what their transcription is)

> s            (s)nail                    s
> t            (t)ry                      t
> v            (v)oice                    v
> x            le(gs), ale(x)             ks

Well, here I have a problem since 'gs' in 'legs' is voiced [gz] while 'x'
in 'Alex' is not [ks]. Which one do you really mean? Also, if you mean [ks],
then it's normally simply a cluster written as a single letter, thus not a
single sound, and if [k] is present in [k], I'd expect it to exist also alone.

> y            (y)ellow                   j
> z            (z)oo                      z

OK, your whole consonantic seems a bit over-unbalanced to me. It has the three
voiced stops /b/, /d/ and /g/ but only one unvoiced one /t/ (k marks the
fricative [x], so doesn't count as a stop). This is not quite natural. /b/ is
the only voiced stop that is known to appear without the voiceless
equivalent /p/ to be present too. And I don't know any language that has /g/
without /k/ (and I mean the stop here, the /k/ of 'kick'), but many have /k/
without /g/. And the presence of the cluster [ks] makes the absence of a [k]
rather strange too. Also, your fricative list is somewhat unbalanced too.

Of course, if your elves are aliens, you needn't follow human naturalisticness,
but since the rest seems to be rather naturalistic, the phonology looks a bit
out of place here.

Note that I used // here. These enclose *phonemic* description. *Phonemes* are
the abstract 'sounds' recognised by the speakers and which are opposed in the
language. They are different from the *phones* (described by []) which
represent the actual sounds, because one phoneme may correspond to more than
one phones depending on the environment (those phones are then
called 'allophones'). For instance, in English, a beginning voiceless stop is
usually aspirated ('tea' is pronounced [t^hi] - taking the KPA representation -
, i.e. with a little puff of air). But in other environments, the puff of air
is absent (for instance after an 's', like in 'stop'. Listen carefully to
the 't' of 'top' and the 't' of 'stop' and you will hear what I mean). Yet
speakers don't make a conscious difference between those two sounds. They both
are 't' to them. It means that the *phoneme* /t/ is pronounced aspirated [t^h]
in the beginning of a syllable, but [t] after an 's' in the beginning of a
syllable. /t/ can have other pronunciations. For instance, it's common in
America to have [r"] (KPA again) for intervocalic /t/. And yet Americans still
hear it as a /t/, despite the fact that [r"] is the sound of the Spanish
intervocalic 'r' :) . I explain you that because a phonology is complete only
when you have described it both according to the phonemes and their actual
realisations in different environments, i.e. both phonemically and phonetically.

> VOWELS
> WHEN         PRONOUNCE IT                       KPA
> YOU SEE      LIKE THE BRACKETS          Symbol
> a            f(a)ther                   a

Do you *really* have [a] in 'father'? Where do you come from?

> e            t(e)n                      e
> i            f(i)g                      i

'i' in 'fig' is most probably [I] in KPA. KPA [i] is 'ee' in 'seen'.

> o            p(o)t                      o

I'd expect the pronunciation of 'pot' to have rather a [O] than a [o], but I
may be wrong.

> u           l(e)g (compare this (e)     ei
>              to the one in ten)

?! KPA [ei] means a diphtongue or two vowels in hiatus. Do you really have a
diphtongue in 'leg'? I thought all English dialects pronounced it with a single
short vowel!!!

> PHONETIC CONSTRAINTS
> Paxba-Sazena has the following constraints:
>
> (b, d, g, m,  n, r, s, t, v, y, z) + V + (b, d, k, m, n, rZ),
> t, x, v, y", z) [+ (ba, ka, za, na) as dictated by grammar]

Where's [y"] coming from? You didn't present it before. Too bad, because it's
one of my favourite sounds ;)) (being French, it just *has* to be ;))) ).

> _relative Identities-- "pronouns"_
> Pronouns. The concept doesn't exist in Paxba-Sazena-- a name is a name
> is a name.
>
> However... there are Identities /we/ would consider pronouns. Iz, for
> example, is "I". These "Relative Identities" are not altered for
> gender unless otherwise noted. Iz is one of the exceptions. Ka ("he")
> is not.

I must admit I don't understand your way of writing here. Do you mean that
pronouns never take gender suffixes, except 'Iz', but not except 'Ka' (which
should mean "he", "she" and "it" altogether I suppose), or do you mean exactly
the opposite?

Anyway, you should take a look at Japanese, since it's probably the language
closest to not having pronouns at all and using names of people whenever
possible. If your language can really be said not to have pronouns (which I
doubt if the ones you give don't behave like normal names like you seem to
imply. You may not want to call them pronouns, but if there only use is to
refer to things like 'I', 'you', etc..., then they *are* pronouns, whether you
like it or not), it should behave at least in some way like Japanese, but even
more so.

> _cultural note on names_
> To the Paxba people, Identities are vitally important. The Identifier
> "Di" means both "name" and "soul". Without a name, you're a
> non-entity. You aren't even thought of as having a gender. Only the
> most heartless person would mock an Dihakna ("nameless"), however, and
> often times conscious or not, people make effort to give them
> Identities.

Here you have a word with a 'h' between two vowels, but nowhere before you
referred to 'h' except in the digraph 'rh'. What does 'h' represent here then?

> If AIbaza

Why do you capitalise the two first letters of this name?

 and her friend Ezdeza are both dam (hired
> companions or "dolls" as it is often translated) then to say:
>
>       Ubaza is a doll. Ezdeza is a doll.
>
> you'd use:
>
>       damza Ubaza. damza Ezdeza.
>
> Subtle meaning may be created by not having the two in agreement. If
> AIbaza cross dresses and Ezdeza only takes clients as a female, you
> might use:
>
>       daumka Ubaza. daumza Ezdeza.

Why 'daum' here and 'dam' above?

> STATES fill the function of verbs, adverbs, and adjectives in
> English. States are all of transitive gender, matching the gender of
> the Names they are linked to. They are never capitalized. Unmodified
> (see MODIFIERS, below) they are in the present continuous tense. In
> States, the gender syllable is placed BEFORE the root.

And what do they agree with? The subject, the object, the indirect object? All
at the same time?

> THUS:
> kasazmid
> (he writes)
>
> Note that sazmid also has a Name form. So:
>
> Daniel writes.
> Danika kasazmid.

So it seems that gender agreement is with the subject. What if an object was
present?

> Modifiers cover where prepositions and modal operators would be placed
> in English. For example, -ix is used to indicate a more than two
> plural.

Simply call that a plural. For two, use the term "dual". When you have a dual,
it's unambiguous that plural refers to 'three or more'.

> SUBJECT [STATES that apply to subject] OBJECT [STATES that apply to
> the object].
>
> Baubaza zamimsad Davimina-adiba nadan
>
> (transliteration)
> Warm Soul (female) (she) carries (the) life (of) mating (inclusive
> gender)'s child (uncertain gender) (she) inside.

You should provide an interlinear, cutting the words into morphemes (roots and
affixes) so that we can see what refers to what. Here it's just too confusing.

> *plurals*
>
> Paxba-Sazena differs between plural (two) and plural (three or more).

'dual' is the term used for two. Plural then means 'three or more'.

> Note that Pax does not use an interrogative punctuation mark. You will
> get funny looks if you use a question mark. You elfin friends will end
> up chuckling.

Why? do you often draw punctuation marks with your finger when speaking to
people? ;))))))

Well, this looks very interesting, but it looks also that you need a bit more
time to describe things correctly. You should take a look at the links I gave
you. But the language itself looks quite interesting. I'd like to see more :) .

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr