AUXLANG March 2003, Week 3

Re: The need for an alternative

Javier BF <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:56:53 +0100

> > >As long as the world looks as it does,
> >
> > Then, do you think the world is going to
> > look as it does today forever? Have a look
> > at how the world looked when Esperanto was
> > designed and then have a look a today's world.
> > Then think about the features that are present
> > in Esperanto, such as feminine derived from
> > masculine, because those were the common
> > thing to have in a language among the "civilized"
> > people in 1889.
>
>It was not more strange than to look quite normal to me a couple of miles
>north
>of Warsaw when I learned Esperanto. The objection to suffixes expressing
>feminine is a rather new one, as I understand.

Yes, political correctness is a rather new
thing, but it is already in the picture of
today's world.

> > >it is just hampering persons having them
> > >learning a language wich has nothing common with
> > the Western languages, e.g.
> > >English and Spanish.
> >
> > And then you really think that non-Westerners
> > are so in love with Western languages that they
> > can't do without them and it would be a hampering
> > for them not having to become acquainted with
> > them compulsorily?
>
>Not more than I was in love with English. It was on the curriculum in my
>school
>as in all other schools in Sweden at that time. Esperanto I learned from my
>free will as I viewed this as a logic and sound thing to do, but it was not
>Esperanto that might give good grades and money in an uncertain future but
>English and even German at that time.

Then I repeat: forget about Interlingua,
which certainly is not going to give you
good grades and money, and devote your time
to English, French or Spanish instead.

> > >Our oppinions are different here. I believe that an auxlang must have
>as
> > >many
> > >additional features than just communication as possible as long as it
>is
> > >mainly
> > >idealism and curiosity that make us learn them.
> >
> > What is different between you and I here is that
> > you believe that the knowledge of Western languages
> > and culture is something unavoidable or something
> > that is more worthwhile than the knowledge of other
> > languages and cultures which you regard as being
> > just of local interest.
>
>When the need for Chinese and Arabic arises as these languages convey
>something
>that people will want to know or take part in, then they will learn those
>languages, regardless of what's in the curriculum of their schools.
>
>Still when German was first foreign language in our schools, many young
>people
>knew English better, because it conveyed cultural goods (if that's the
>word)
>that they wanted, like scoff novels, films etc. (and as the films are and
>always have been subtitled here, people heard English every time they went
>the movies).

Well, in Spain movies have always been dubbed
and people hardly listen to English here
beyond some pop and rock songs. That's
a reason why Spaniards usually speak very
poor English. We're not as suffused with
English here as you are there in Sweden
and English is not so important a part
of our lives as it is of yours. In fact,
if I travelled to a village in Sweden
and spoke to the people in English, I
think I'd have a good chance of being
understood, while if you travelled to a
village in Spain and spoke to the people
in English you can be almost 100% sure
that they won't understand a word (well,
if you're lucky, maybe you'll find someone
who does know what "Hello" means). And even
in the big cities here you'll have trouble
finding someone who really can speak English
beyond some cliched basic words and
phrases.

> > I strongly disagree with
> > that Eurocentric picture of the world. There are
> > many non-Westerners who couldn't care less about
> > the Western languages and culture, and if many
> > of them are learning English today that's just
> > because English is the de facto lingua franca
> > and they are required to learn that lingua franca
> > if they want to have a good job.
>
>Yeah! So why then invent an auxiliary language that is as far from that
>Lingua
>Franca as possible? Have you learnt Chinese or Arabic? Pray tell me about
>it!

I have learnt some Chinese and Arabic, but
I'm not fluent yet. But even that incomplete
learning of those languages has made me
become aware of the real diversity of the
world's languages and cultures MUCH MORE
than what did the learning of languages
closely related to my mother tongue and
that were part of the same Western cultural
background that I was already acquainted with.
As Ricardo Pinto put it: "It was he who
showed me that, bilingual as I was [in Spanish
and English], in the world of languages, I
saw in black and white. He revealed to me
the rainbow that is human languages."

> > >It has not been effortless to me to learn the English I know or Spanish
>(as
> > >much as I have had a need for). Interlingua has acted in the positive
>way
> > >for
> > >me to give me a summing up of the international vocabulary. That's OK
>with
> > >me.
> >
> > You make "international" a synonym of "pan-Western".
> > I simply don't agree with that.
>
>It is international in my view of the world.

Yes, in your world, that is just a tiny portion
of the world.

> > Because those languages have been imposed as
> > lingua francas by the Westerners upon the rest
> > of the world. You seem to believe that that
> > situation of dominance by the Western languages,
> > culture and people is fair and doesn't need
> > a change. I don't agree at all with you in
> > this respect either.
>
>Like the fact that I am writing to you in English now and not Interlingua
>or
>Chinese. English is not my voluntary choice. The world has made the choice
>for
>me. In the future it might make other choices, but that's the future, not
>know.
>
>By arguing as you do, you appear to have a hidden agenda for me which makes
>me
>very curious.

I don't have any "hidden agenda". It's simply
that I'm not thinking just about here, now and
myself, but about the fact that the world of
twenty or fifty years from now, that is the
world that may be ready to adopt an auxlang
designed today, is certainly not going to look
as it looks to me nowadays, and in that world
the importance of English and Western culture
at a global scale is going to have diminished
very noticeably. Even the British teachers
of English themselves are already aware that
English doesn't have a very brilliant future
as the only global lingua franca beyond the
immediate decades and that in the world of
2050 or 2070, the world that my children and
grandchildren will be living in, a language
such as Chinese may have already taken the
relay from English as the language of the
leading world power.

In 1900 the leading powers were France and
Britain; look where they are now compared
with the USA that was only a marginal country
in 1900. In the same way, the USA are not
going to remain as the leading power forever
and there are big chances that their dominance
will not last beyond 2020 or 2030. In fact,
I do consider that the heyday of American
dominance was the 1990s and that the beginning
of the decline of the American empire has
already started. G.W. Bush thought the rest
of the world would servilely kneel at his
plans for attacking Iraq and redesigning the
political and economic map of the Middle East
for the benefit of the American and Israeli
interests, but there you have the answer: the
majority of the rest of the world has decided
not to go on kneeling before an American emperor
that is as mad as the Roman emperor Neron and
is dangerously leading the world to the brink
of WW3 in his attempt to impose an unacceptable
Pax Americana.

> > >So I imagine that if an
> > >Arabic, Persian or Chinese teacher had the opportunity to teach a bunch
>of
> > >kids
> > >interlingua this would give them a head start into the Western
>Languages
> > >that
> > >they have to learn in our days.
> >
> > They have to learn those languages because
> > they are the lingua francas of today, not
> > because they find them very interesting or
> > more worth learning than Arabic or Chinese.
>
>The gruesome fact is that it is not Westerners who go to China, hidden in
>containers and often dying before they reach the goal, but it is Curds and
>Iraqis, Chinese and others who try to get into the European Union in every
>possible way. That's also why the people from these countries try to learn
>English as best as they can. And they are, as far as I know, no target
>audience
>for any IAL.

Fifty years ago it was the Spaniards who
were fleeing away from the misery and cruelty
of a dictatorial regime. Nowadays it is Spain
who is receiving emigrants fleeing away from
the misery and dictatorship that they're
suffering today in their countries. That
situation in their countries is not going to
last forever, as neither the misery and
dictatorship in our country lasted forever,
and nowadays Spain is a well established
democracy that ranks among the fifteen richest
countries in the world. There are already
clear signals that the situation is changing
in China, and the giant dragon will sooner
or later awake from its communist nightmare
to become a leading political, economic and
cultural power in the decades to come.

>But if it just came on the agenda as something the authorities had decided,
>it
>is not improbable that they would just do the very necessary and no more to
>learn it.
>
>Like answering the question: Why are French and German decreasing in our
>schools nowadays?

French is no longer what it used to be before WW2
because the French dominance over the world expired
long ago and French appears ever more like a past
glory. As for German, I can't tell about Sweden,
but here in Spain the interest on German is steadily
increasing and many companies now require their
future employees to master not only English but
also German, because Germany is among the leading
countries in technology and is the leading
economic power within the EU.

> > Arabic is a sacred language for the Muslims,
> > which account for one third of the world's
> > population, like it or not.
>
>As I am not one of the believers I have some difficulties in understanding
>how
>God can speak to this vast majority of speakers who cannot read his sacred
>tidings, not always understanding what they are reading!

Muslims believe that God spoke to the Prophet
in Arabic and that the text of the Koran exactly
as it is in the original in Arabic is not simply
something that the Prophet redacted himself to
tell the revealed truth he received, but a direct
word by word transcription of what God told him
through the archangel Gabriel, thus being the text
of the Koran in Arabic a sacred creation of God,
from the point of view of the Muslims (and they
offer as a proof of this that such a sublime
masterpiece of literature as the Koran could
never have been the creation of an uneducated
man as the Prophet). So if a Muslim wants to have
direct access to the Sacred Word of God, s/he has
no option but to learn Arabic.

> > It seems you don't realize that once a language
> > has a certain amount of speakers it is virtually
> > impossible to introduce changes to it.
>
>No, I don't realize that. When the Normands came to England they changed
>the
>language substantially, as had the Danes done before them.
>
>The Bulgars did, if I recall the facts correctly, also have a significant
>influence of the people that they conquered, becoming Slavic speakers
>themselves.

But that kind of linguistic change takes
place very slowly and gradually and not
as a result of a conscious attempt to
reform the language.

> > Learning
> > a language is a tough effort and most people
> > will radically refuse having to relearn what
> > took them so much effort to master. Just think
> > of the strong opposition against the proposal
> > of introducing some reforms into Esperanto that
> > Zamenhof put to the vote of the initial small
> > community of Esperanto speakers. Introducing
> > reforms, which is already rejected by a majority
> > within a small community of speakers, becomes
> > unthinkable when that community grows. There
> > you have the vain attempts to reform Esperanto,
> > to reform English spelling, etc.
>
>Decisions like "as of next Wednesday all verbs should end in -r" is not a
>reform that will work, but on the other hand modern Esperanto is not at all
>the
>same language as Zamenhof and his contemporaries wrote. Just look at the
>texts
>and compare!

Yes, the language has evolved within the
possibilities of what the community of
speakers perceived to be minor evolutionary
changes instead of as major changes to the
language. What was perceived as a major
and conscious change, such as taking off
the accusative or reforming the spelling,
has always faced a strong opposition.

> > It's a big deal when those who tend to miss
> > the correct use are the native speakers of
> > certain languages while the native speakers
> > of certain others are unlikely to miss it.
>
>This is still harder with a national language, and those who are discontent
>can
>then create another language, being so close to the first one that the
>understanding is there and then facilitate or abolish usages that they
>don't
>like for one reason or another.

And we end up with the current myriad of
reformed Esperantos.

> > You don't seem to be aware of how many idiomatic
> > expressions are present in Interlingua that
> > are unknown for the non-Westerners who have
> > only learned English. Even I myself, a native
> > speaker of Spanish, have frequently seen you
> > using idiomatic expressions in Interlingua that
> > I find weird and idiosyncratically pertaining
> > to a certain language(s) and that would have
> > being impossible for me to decipher if I hadn't
> > already seen them used in some Romance language
> > such as Italian, French or Portuguese and thus
> > weren't already aware of what they mean.
>
>The more interesting this is that I don't speak any of these languages over
>certain school or tourists' level! If I were a native speaker of Spanish I
>would understand this, but I am not.
>
>It is also very possible that I will use expressions which seam
>idiosyncratic
>to you as a native speaker of Spanish. There is not much I can do about
>that.
>What you can do is of course ask, if you don't know what I mean.
>Considering
>the fact that people sometimes have difficulties in understanding what they
>write in their national languages, it is not such a big suprize that they
>don't
>understand what a user from another language group might write in
>aforementioned languages.

My point was that Interlingua has accepted idioms
present in some of the source languages, even though
those idioms are undecipherable for the speakers of
other of the source languages (let alone for the
speakers of non-source languages). E.g. I can
understand "ben que" only because Spanish has a
similar idiom "bien que", but in English there
is nothing the like of "well that" to mean
"although". OTOH, I got lost when in Interlingua
you said "durante que", because in Spanish we
have the word "durante" but we don't use it in
that idiom, which we render as "mientras que".
I couldn't make any sense of what you meant by
"durante que" until I realized it to be the
equivalent to our "mientras que" from context
and aided by the facts that "durante" and
"mientras" may be synonym in certain contexts
in Spanish (though definitely not as for that
idiom) and that both translate as "while" in
English and "while" is what English uses
in place of our "mientras que". Also, when
you said that "habeva viagiate in Minnesota",
I only knew that it means what in Spanish we
mean by "había viajado a Minnesota" (had
travelled to Minnesota) instead of what we
mean by "había viajado en Minnesota" (had
travelled in Minnesota)--that is, that s/he
had travelled from the outside into Minnesota
instead of that s/he had travelled within the
limits of Minnesota-- because I was already
aware of that idiomatic usage of "in" for the
illative that I had found in Latin and Italian
but that is absent in Spanish.

Cheers,
Javier

Localiza y ponte en contacto con tus antiguos compañeros de clase en MSN
Compañeros.  http://mipasado.msn.es/