Monospaced Font

CONLANG  March 2003, Week 5

CONLANG March 2003, Week 5

Re: Answer to Sally's Question: Elves, Neste

Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:08:01 -0500

Hi, Elliott! Yes, indeed, I did get your answer to my questions; I've been
away from CONLANG for two days, and had a pile up of 400 messages, so pardon
my tardiness in responding. I listened to a wonderful talk by Professor
Colin Firth Green, yesterday, all about fairies and incubi. He was our
Rossell Hope Robbins Invited Lecturer at the UR, and the samples he gave us
from various Middle English texts included the words "elvish" and "faerie,"
used interchangeably. He was primarily interested in the connection between
elves/fairies and incubi, which have a classical connection with the fauna
and other woodland figures associated with Pan. He was not as informative
about the Celtic tradition, but the terms fairy and elf come, of course,
from Latin and Scandinavian origins respectively, and have been applied, I
imagine, to Irish and Welsh concepts of their euhemerized gods. What he
emphasized was how this myth of the fairy lover became demonic only in the
later middle ages... demonic, but also diminished. So Launfal can take a
fairy lover in "The Lay of Launfal," but in later literature, such a union
is demonized (you see it in the later ballads). It's as if a force majeure
wanted not only to discourage belief in fairy lovers and elves, but to
deride them as well, and of course you get their diminishment (in size and
seriousness) in Drayton, Shakespeare, and so forth. The talk came at a
fortuitous time, because I've been asking you all what you meant by the
"Elvish." It does indeed seem to go back much further than Tolkien's use of
it, but Tolkien neatly removed his Elves from all taint of the sexually
dangerous, while restoring them to proper size and to an original
Otherworldliness. He turns them into almost angelic figures whom mortal
women cannot possibly fear or desire! This was one of the great
frustrations about LotR for me when I encountered it at fourteen.
Glorfindel was obviously off-limits... just too unavailable. Legolas was
too bonded with Gimli; Elrond had a mother and a daughter who looked no
older than he did. What interest would he have in a mortal woman?
Miscegeny was verboten (except in a few notable cases), and so, I imagine,
was anything less legal. LOL! (remember, this is my teenaged self
thinking.) I speak as a heterosexual FEMALE conlanger and conworlder, but
I wondered if the popularity of the concept of the Elf, and the word itself,
conjured up a people that were sexy because they were Other. And hieratic.
And noble. And mysterious. Tolkien didn't seem pitched to the naughty
imagine of girl readers, unless you went like Eowyn for Aragorn, and he was
promised to the unpromiseable. In inventing my early Teonim, I wanted them
to have an "otherness" to them, but I did NOT want to copy Tolkien. The
word that comes closest to meaning "fairy" or "demon lover" in Teonaht is
_felrreo_. But it can mean a number of other things. My Teonaht have their
felrreo, but they are themselves felrreois: six fingers instead of five on a
hand, eyes that change color with emotion, retreating always into a world
that melts back into another dimension, but very earthy, full of their
vices, full of their stories, and definitely not immortal.

What think you?

        Here's Chaucer on the dreary loss of the elf-incubus:

        For ther as wont to walken was an elf,
        Ther walketh now the lymytour hymself
        In undermeles and in morwenynges,
        And seyth his matyns and his hooly thynges
        As he gooth in his lymytacioun.
        Wommen may go now saufly up and doun.
        In every bussh or under every tree
        Ther is noon oother incubus but he,
        And he ne wol doon hem but dishonour. :)

Sally Caves
Eskkoat ol ai sendran, rohsan nuehra celyil takrem bomai nakuo.
"My shadow follows me, putting strange, new roses into the world."