AUXLANG May 2003, Week 3

Re: Ideas original

Jacques Dehée <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 17 May 2003 21:14:27 -0400

*******
> Saluto, Richard.
> Congratulations for your remarkable language !
> May I know about the original ideas it introduces ?
> You may answer by the same way, or still better
> in AUXLANG in the subject 'Ideas original'
>
> Amikall,
> Jacques
>
>> Message du 17/05/03 02:10
>> De : atlangisto <[log in to unmask]>
>> A : [log in to unmask]
>> Copie  :
>> Objet : La sama teksto in la lango Atlango:
>> Saluto Jacques,
>> Yen esta la teksto in la lango Atlango:
>>
>> Qi  Ekster-terda Spuroy Sur Terdo Mustra?
>> Mur planeto posesa multanombra spuroy kay restadoy di civilisoy
>> India, Maya,Greka, Egipta. Ta civilisoy havi alga sabo eqalanta
>> la mustra in alga  dominyoy; to ne esta nepodebla ke inteligenta estoy
>> venginta el la spazo instrukti ta popoloy nam in ca restadoy, skribadoy,
>> desinoy, rakontoy kay  legendroy, ta homoy poslasis mesijoy
>> pri la eksisto di  ta estoy venginta el la syelo, kay konsiderata
>> kome deoy.
>> Amikall,
>> Richard A. Antonius
>> http://vido.net/atlango
>> Pronunso in Atlango: c-like English -ch,  y like Spanish -y,  W like
>>English -w,
>> Q- like kw (!) , J like English -j, x like English -sh.

Auxlangers,
I have send to Mr. Jacques Dehee from this Group my own translation of
Idos text into Atlango for comparision. He would like to know more about
my language. Let me then present some information about my  proposal to a
neutral and common language for European Union.

1. My  first intention to develop this language was to create a language
which would be more euphonious and more modern than all existing planned
languages. My start point was all the main european languages plus Latin
and of course Esperanto which I think  (and as Gerard van Wilgen wrote:
The reason is no mystery. Esperanto -(is) the mother of all "Latinate"
conlangs. )
So I treated  Esperanto as a live language and one of the important
european languages!
(That is why Atlango  must be an esperantid.)
2. But I wanted also to create a language suitable in  literature and
poetry.
3. Another idea was to try to reconcile Eo and Ido. However when I was
looking after a compromise  the result was that I  had to change features
in both. (If I would  try  to make only a delicate modifications to  Eo.
and Ido - I would imitate Prof. Ren de Saussure and  repeated his endless
but still unsatisfactory  corrections and proposals to both Eo and Ido.)

4. There is also another history behind Atlango - a literary background.
As a little boy I found learning of languages very, very difficult. Even my
own mother tongue -Polish presented  itself to me as a monster.(The
grammar!) That is why -during all my live- I have been trying to create my
own  easy-to -learn languages (a posteriori and even a priori) and studying
interlinguistics). But I am also a writer and graphic artist. Two years ago
I started to write my own fantasy novel in which an artificial language
would play an important role. But  I had ambitions -in contrary to JRR.
Tolkien- I wanted to create an easy  to learn , non-hermetic language. This
book will be published in Poland this year. (I hope that it will be a very
good way to make people interested in Atlango!)
I created a hero who dreams and wants to... reconcile Esperantists and
Idists.(!) One year (1908-1912) he lands to a mystical island where all
people use... Volapuk. But they have huge problems with their endless
flipping through of volapuk dictionaries. Their language does not  work!
Than they discover the language of my hero and find it to be much better
than Volapuk. Finally habitants of this land (La Okesma Islo) one by one
switched to Atlango. Their next move will be to propose this language as a
common bridge-language for The United Europe. (!)
As you see my easy to learn Atlango has a fictional history.
Of course  today nobody speaks Atlango but you must know that when
L.Zamenhof was publishing his  Eo it was the similar situation. (In those
days very popular Volapuk was his big rival and L.Zamenhof was Volapukist
himself!)
In the future Atlango could use existing dictionaries of Esperanto, Ido,
Occidental, Novial, Interlingua, and even Neo with specific changes.
I have got an interesting E-mail about Atlango from Swedish  interlinguist
Prof. Hartmut Traunmuller. He wrote that Atlango is in fact more euphonious
than Esperanto. And it was also my  very important goal.
There are many linguistic schools, methods  and individual preferences in
creating of eurolang. There are constructed languages created by
individuals  and collectives. There are naturalistic planned languages and
artificial. Atlango is not a naturalistic one. It is like Eo and its
grammar and lexikon has like Eo some arbitrary features. Let me call them
as atlangismoy or qanarianismoy (in Eo: Kuxanarianismoj). For ex:
To honour L.L.ZAMENHOF-Atlango  has a preposition ZAM =(instead, Eo:
anstataux)!
I am sure you know that it is not an easy  task  to elaborate a compromise
and satisfy all.  We know that J.M.Schleyer - creator of  Volapuk  was
accused because of lack of sound  r  in  his language  (but it would be
much better for Japanes! They have problems with L) and  L.Zamenhof
received letters from angry esperantists which  hatred his  diacritics,
plural -oj , accsativ - n and kaj.
(In my opinion kay and oj are  very original forms and are not
difficult  to memorize and use att all. On the contrary - they give a
really neutral taste to his euroconlang and I accepted it also in Atlango.)
On the other side  -as you can see in Atlango - I went longer and have
eliminated  Eos and Idos   c  (ts) and  Esps jx (zh). This was of
course  decision of the inventor. And also my own decision was to use w
as in English -w, and  x as English  sh  and even q in quite
unconventional way as kw (without traditional u) It gave Atlango one more
euphonious and short sound and possibility to use the alfaphabet
economically. (For ex. It was easier to build more clear  correlatives.)
It was also my  choice to give to all personal pronouns in individual -the
ending  i and for collective - u. There is a logic in it -namely  to
clearly differentiate subjects. I think  it works  and it is also easy to
memorize.
There are more -I hope useful -original features in Atlangos grammar.
You can check how Atlango works in my short novel written in Atlango here:
http://vido.net/rakonto
But there are also samples and texts to compare with other conlangs
(Euroclones) on
http://vido.net/atlango
In the future I will present some poems in Atlango to show  its
functionality.

Mi totyakore invita Tu al la magyoplenta mondo di Atlango.

Atlangisto nr 1 - Richard A. Antonius