CONLANG  June 2003, Week 1

CONLANG June 2003, Week 1

Re: pens (was Phoneme winnowing continues)

Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 7 Jun 2003 12:54:04 -0500

Stone Gordonssen wrote:

> BTW, for me, the writing emplement "pen" is [pEn] - rhymes with "pet", but
> the enclosure for animals "pen" is [pIn], rhymes with "pit".

I tend to misanalyze enclosure as being the same word as sharp pointy
thing, i.e., "pin", while writing instrument is "pen".  Altho they are
perfectly homophonous in my dialect, I still think of those as two
words, but with that erroneous assignment of "enclosure".

Incidentally, I also don't rhyme "Remember" and "December".  (Re)member
is one of the very small number of words in my dialect with pre-nasal
/E/.  Those words are /ri'mEmbr/ and /di'sImbr/.  I first noticed that
when I saw the phrase "A December to remember" and realized that it was
probably meant as a rhyme, but didn't rhyme for me.

--
"There's no such thing as 'cool'.  Everyone's just a big dork or nerd,
you just have to find people who are dorky the same way you are." -