CONLANG  June 2003, Week 1

CONLANG June 2003, Week 1

art and language: was, lexicon

Sally Caves <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Jun 2003 02:23:29 -0400

Mark, here's the point I was after, and I got back into Outlook Express to
express it.  You and I seem to be speaking for different notions of "art."
Perhaps this clarifies:  I want to include "craft" within my all-purpose
definition.  Perhaps the "fine arts" are one end of the art/craft spectrum.
When I said that it was the scientific revolution that put it into our heads
that art was basically "secondary" to the important human business of
getting things done, I should also have noted that advanced technology and
life in a mechanized society have contributed as well to this sterilizing
attitude.  Unless you go to craft fairs, it is easy to forget what it was
like to live in a world where human labor and artisanry were highly visible;
if you did not make your own clothes or build your own house, you were in
contact with people who were hands-on milliners, seamsters, builders,
carpenters; if you were wealthy, you hired a painter to paint your portrait.
You listened to music that people played in your home, or on the street.  To
a great extent, the larger, more isolated, and more invisible our
technologies become (who makes the clothes you wear?  faceless paupers in
Singapore.  Who is Kate Bush?  A voice on a CD.  Who prepared your food for
you?  Somebody at a restaurant, or some faceless industry that has stocked
items in the supermarket), the more it contributes to a separation of what
one thinks is "art" and what one feels are the "basics" of living.  The more
it has contributed as well to our notion that poetry, painting, mastering
the piano, pottery-making, poetizing, reading fine books are "luxuries"
instead of visible and essential aspects of human life, and higher
developments of "craft."  Can we get along without fine art?  Sure.  But it
wouldn't (at least to me) be a life worth living.  Can we live a life
without craft?  Not and remain essentially human.  Maybe that's one aspect
of the difference between the crafts and the arts.

Language is an art.  You can speak and write it with minimal or maximal
skill.  It may be "hard-wired" in the brain, but we still have to learn it.
And some of us learn it and learn it for decades, honing our vocabularies,
fine-tuning our rhetorical skills, learning foreign languages, reading dead
ones.  There are so many people in our high-tech society who take it just so
far, who use language "only to get things done in."

I still maintain that language and craft developed together, tongue and
hand.  What other animal on this planet vocalizes or builds with as much
complexity as the human animal?  I am curiously intent on this topic, I'm
sorry.  Perhaps it's because I've devoted my life to teaching young adults
how to make their writing and their speaking more artfully efficient and
inventive, and to open their minds to the antiquity and complexity of the
written arts.  I'm not about to hear that this is a "luxury," or that it is
"the ultimate in free expression, refusing to obey set channels or rules."
Skill in rhetoric follows some definite rules, and one's mastery of it opens
more doors.  Off to bed.  Happy conlanging.

Sally Caves
Eskkoat ol ai sendran, rohsan nuehra celyil takrem bomai nakuo.
"My shadow follows me, putting strange, new roses into the world."
http://www.frontiernet.net/~scaves/teoteach.html