CONLANG  June 2003, Week 3

CONLANG June 2003, Week 3

Re: auxlangers vs. artlangers (was OT: lingua fracas)

Chris Bates <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:25:55 +0100

Does not knowing linguistics well  make someone a dork? I wouldn't say
so... I would say that if they are inventing languages the natural way
to go is to learn, and that the dorks are the people who are unwilling
to learn, but a lack of knowledge does not necessarily reflect an
unwillingness to learn, it might simply be that they have just started
and haven't had time yet to learn. I think everyone here made some very
bad or at least unimaginative choices for their first conlang or two,
and I know in my first ones I used letters to define the sounds of my
languages and assumed that everyone would give the letters their english
values.
 Now I tend to use tables ... place of articulation along the top, type
of sound down the side... my tables show what sound I'm assigning to
each letter, and then I use the letters to represent the values I've
assigned to them... writing IPA or any of its ASCII versions is too much
of a nuisance to be quite honest, and looks down right ugly, and if my
table at the start accurately specifies what sound each letter I'm using
represents what's the point?